Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The hangover affecting Treasury Wine Estates just won't go away. After announcing in July that it would take a US$145m hit from a stock writedown in the US, the Australian firm cut its ties with its CEO in September. However, David Dearie popped up again last week as he moved to defend his time at the tiller. Not only that, but Treasury was also named in a lawsuit last week brought due to the aforementioned writedown. Meanwhile, the wine world was sent into a spin late last week after a report from Morgan Stanley claimed that there is a world wine shortage on the horizon. Head here to read Chris Losh's thoughts on this ridiculous suggestion.
- In spirits, Beam Inc released its Q3 and YTD results, with the three-month period providing a headache or two. Has the Skinnygirl bubble burst? Click here for a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of the numbers. Meanwhile, our brown spirits commentator, Ian Buxton, shone his monthly spotlight on the Irish whiskey category.
- On the soft drink front, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor highlighted the growing popularity of the 'flavour enhancers' sub-category. Could the dusting off and the 21st Century-ising of the cordial and squash segment provide a NPD opportunity for the soft drinks world?
- I was busy in beer last week. First up, I sounded a cathartic moan about the over-excited gossip I've been reading of late about the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev buying SABMiller. Come on people, we can do better than this! Then, two days in Czech gave me the chance to run the rule over Budejovicky Budvar - invariably over a plate of meat. While the brewer is a small player domestically, on the global stage it's far better known, if only for its legal row with Anhesuer-Busch InBev.
Finally, last week we launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports in the just-drinks research store. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year.Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
Finally, finally, it's a happy anniversary for me! Thursday last week was my tenth anniversary with just-drinks. It has been a true pleasure to serve. Here's to the next ten years. Cheers.
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
Last night, The Coca-Cola Co's UK division celebrated moving in to its stylish new central London headquarters with a barbecue on its roof-top terrace....
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites