Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The Q3 results season continues, with Heineken being the latest major brewer to report its numbers. The company's annus horribilis goes on, with flat sales in the year-to-date prompting a warning from the brewer that its 2013 full-year net profits are expected to fall by low single-digits. And yet, as one analyst highlighted, Heineken's long-term gameplan looks sound. Also, as I suggested, maybe the firm is being a little bit too hard on itself. For a full round-up of our coverage of Heineken's latest figures, click here.
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group has had a better year of it so far, withnine-month net profits staying black on flat sales. With the "extremely challenging" adage getting yet another airing, the US-based company also expressed alarm at the marked fall in sales for diet CSDs in its domestic market. Should the company heed the advice of the analyst that suggested pricing is the answer?
- Another multinational having a tough time of late is Pernod Ricard, which saw sales in its fiscal first quarter register a marked decrease. Despite the firm maintaining that its full-year profits should stay positive, can Pernod get over its Chinese hump? The likes of Remy Cointreau are struggling to do just that.
- The wine world was surprised to learn last week that Vinexpo's planned exhibition in the country is now dead in the water. Isn't China supposed to be the next booming market for wine? Then, when we learned last week that the event organiser was not yet able to guarantee that Vinexpo Tokyo will go ahead, the concern must now be that it is alarm bells that wine companies can hear coming from the east, rather than the sound of till drawers.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts