Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The Q3 results season continues, with Heineken being the latest major brewer to report its numbers. The company's annus horribilis goes on, with flat sales in the year-to-date prompting a warning from the brewer that its 2013 full-year net profits are expected to fall by low single-digits. And yet, as one analyst highlighted, Heineken's long-term gameplan looks sound. Also, as I suggested, maybe the firm is being a little bit too hard on itself. For a full round-up of our coverage of Heineken's latest figures, click here.
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group has had a better year of it so far, withnine-month net profits staying black on flat sales. With the "extremely challenging" adage getting yet another airing, the US-based company also expressed alarm at the marked fall in sales for diet CSDs in its domestic market. Should the company heed the advice of the analyst that suggested pricing is the answer?
- Another multinational having a tough time of late is Pernod Ricard, which saw sales in its fiscal first quarter register a marked decrease. Despite the firm maintaining that its full-year profits should stay positive, can Pernod get over its Chinese hump? The likes of Remy Cointreau are struggling to do just that.
- The wine world was surprised to learn last week that Vinexpo's planned exhibition in the country is now dead in the water. Isn't China supposed to be the next booming market for wine? Then, when we learned last week that the event organiser was not yet able to guarantee that Vinexpo Tokyo will go ahead, the concern must now be that it is alarm bells that wine companies can hear coming from the east, rather than the sound of till drawers.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages is to invest INR1.8tn (US$29m) in a new PET line at a plant in West Bengal....
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages