Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- And, the numbers kept rolling in. In soft drinks, the two big guys posted their third-quarter and year-to-date numbers. While The Coca-Cola Co saw its nine-month sales and profits dip, PepsiCo was left to toast growth in both in the period. In North America, however, the two suffered contrasting fortunes again, this time in the opposite direction.
- SABMiller issued a trading update for its half-year that showed volumes and sales improve slightly in the period. While the brewer may be dealing with issues in the short-term, the longer-term future for the company looks good, according to one analyst.
- In spirits, Diageo issued a trading update soon after its investor conference, which considered the potential offered by Africa, drew to a close on Tuesday. Meanwhile, returning spirits commentator Richard Woodard cast his eye over Bacardi’s latest global push for the Grey Goose vodka brand, as deputy editor James Wilmore sat down with the man himself, Bacardi’s CEO Ed Shirley.
- In wine, the spotlight was shone on the growing influence of Hispanic consumers in the US. Could the Latino population hold the key for unlocking the world’s most important wine market?
just-drinks is in Cannes this week, at the annual TFWA World Exhibition for the travel retail channel. Take a look here for our preview of the event and, if you’re down on the Riviera, drop us a line to arrange a meet-up.
In our latest look at consumer trends in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper turns his attention to the marketing of products along gender lines and asks, why are drinks brands struggling to keep up with ...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Last week, E&J Gallo Winery increased its presence in its home state of California, when it lined up the acquisition of Stagecoach Vineyard in Napa Valley....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends