Blog: The just-drinks taste panel is in session - Cream liqueur time
Olly Wehring | 5 March 2007
It looks like I’ve created a monster. Ladies & gentlemen, I give you the totally unscientific taste test board of just-drinks.
Last week, you may remember I forced the head office staff to try a range of flavoured drinking straws from Australian company Unistraw.
Today, it’s the turn of Vermeer Dutch Chocolate Cream Liqueur. And this is what it tastes like in an open-plan office in the middle of England on a Monday lunchtime in March.
It’s difficult to taste test with any degree of efficiency on just one sip. However, the one sip was really rather very nice. I may need to taste again later, though, just to be sure. Where can I buy it from?
I was very surprised to discover that it is vodka-based. It smelt more brandy-based. It is nice, and very drinkable, but I’m a Dooley’s girl at heart!
Looked much darker than Baileys. Thought the taste may be more bitter, with stronger chocolate taste. Noticed bits in the drink even after a hefty shake of the bottle. Had more sediment than a 1952 Petrus.
The alcohol actually overpowers the taste of the chocolate – it’s just not ‘chocolatey’ enough for girls. It tastes like a creamier version of Baileys. Would I drink it again? Probably yes, if there wasn’t any Baileys left!
First taste was just cream – no chocolate at all, followed by strong alcohol. It was a bit like a double punch in boxing. The first punch is light and easy to block, it’s the second one that catches you unaware and knocks you off your feet. A bit like the double punch, the after-effects aren’t too pleasant. There was a sour aftertaste.
If you fancy recreating at home have two shot glasses, one with cream, the second with Jaegermeister or a supermarket own-label whiskey. Sip the cream and then, without thinking, down the spirit.
Many thanks to Vermeer for being brave enough to run the gauntlet - anyone else out there willing to undergo the just-drinks taste panel? All drinks considered - email me at email@example.com if you think you’re hard enough.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research