Blog: The just-drinks soft drink campaign starts here - join us
Olly Wehring | 24 October 2006
Here at just-drinks, we are not ones for campaign-style journalism. Give us a lead on a good story, and we’ll deliver the facts for you. But generally, we believe it’s up to the industry to take the lead on the issues it faces - not that I am backward at coming forward with my own opinion as those that have read this column will know.
However, a piece by our soft drinks reporter, Annette Farr, this month got me thinking that, perhaps, there are issues we ought to support more vocally. Of course, I suggest you read the whole piece for yourselves but, to summarise, Annette is calling for the European soft drinks industry to show a united front and launch a single exhibition that would cover all aspects of the industry under one roof.
Three years into this job now, and it still amazes me there isn’t a show that represents the interests of everything soft drinks, from packaging and vending to marketing and innovation.
As Annette points out, the soft drinks industry has spawned the world’s No. 1 brand. Soft drinks outsell all other FMCG categories across Europe. And, soft drink manufacturers are pioneers when it comes to innovation and new product development. Surely, the industry deserves its very own showcase?
So, we would like to hear what you have to say about this. Is this idea worth pursuing? Do you in the industry feel you are already well serviced by the existing, fragmented network of shows? In short, can someone - and should someone - host a show of this nature?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends