Blog: The greenest booze brand of them all?
Chris Mercer | 2 September 2010
What is the most environmentally-friendly booze brand? Is it the Scotch dram, the Fairtrade Chilean wine or that bottle of locally-brewed beer that you bought in a fit of adventurism? One prominent newspaper is seeking your views.
The Guardian newspaper has been running an interactive debate all week on the most eco-friendly alcoholic drink, prompted by a reader question on the subject.
We are promised answers from the newspaper's gurus tomorrow (3 September) on all things environmental. In terms of sheer size, the world's largest known Irish Coffee should be a strong contender for the least eco-friendly. Or, there's the world's largest beer can. Alternatively, China could sneak in there with its claim to have built a 15ft bottle of wine. Those Chinese; it always has to be bigger, doesn't it?
The point is, any of these would do just as well as anything else. That's because the number of different factors involved make it almost impossible to choose the 'greenest' drink.
I wonder if the Guardian journalists will agree with what they themselves wrote back in 2006. This essentially boiled down to 'buy local', or just go for a drink with people who care about the environment.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends