Blog: The FIFA Row - Brought to you by...
Olly Wehring | 31 May 2011
We love a good dose of in-office debate here at just-drinks Towers. Like many office environments, our industry is one of the main topics of water-cooler discussion, closely followed, naturally, by sport.
The ongoing rumblings at football's governing body, FIFA, have got several of us all riled up - and not just in our merry little office. Earlier this week, The Coca-Cola Co, one of the major sponsors of the FIFA-organised World Cup, went so far as to describe the corruption row as being "distressing and bad for the sport".
Deputy editor Chris Mercer believes that sponsors need not worry too much about their image amidst all this - consumers don't see a link between the actual event and FIFA, he says.
However, I'd bring it back a step or two - when sponsors go public with their feelings on a controversy, they're guaranteed inches of publicity - without having to pay a cent for it.
Coca-Cola is neither pouring petrol nor water on this particular fire, merely offering observers a Coke-branded fork for their marshmallows.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US