Blog: The end of the phoney recession
Olly Wehring | 17 December 2008
Job losses are mounting in the drinks industry.
This week in the UK alone, Coca-Cola GB, Scottish & Newcastle (Heineken) and Constellation Europe have all announced that they plan to shed staff. A-B InBev is likely to follow, once a review of its UK operations is complete.
There will be more. Indeed, the UK wine industry is struggling to stay afloat, amid the tidal waves of duty rises and discounting. Over in beer, sales have slumped and an average five pubs are closing every day.
UK unemployment is expected to rise sharply next year, negating a boost to spending power by the recent cuts to value added tax and interest rates.
The US is hardly faring much better, if not worse. A-B InBev is shedding 1,400 jobs, mostly from A-B's St Louis headquarters, while thousands of employees connected to the soft drinks industry are also staring redundancy squarely in the face.
The phoney recession is receding, propelling forward the grim reality that 2009 is, afterall, going to be painful for many.
Mince pie anyone?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends