Blog: The end of the phoney recession
Olly Wehring | 17 December 2008
Job losses are mounting in the drinks industry.
This week in the UK alone, Coca-Cola GB, Scottish & Newcastle (Heineken) and Constellation Europe have all announced that they plan to shed staff. A-B InBev is likely to follow, once a review of its UK operations is complete.
There will be more. Indeed, the UK wine industry is struggling to stay afloat, amid the tidal waves of duty rises and discounting. Over in beer, sales have slumped and an average five pubs are closing every day.
UK unemployment is expected to rise sharply next year, negating a boost to spending power by the recent cuts to value added tax and interest rates.
The US is hardly faring much better, if not worse. A-B InBev is shedding 1,400 jobs, mostly from A-B's St Louis headquarters, while thousands of employees connected to the soft drinks industry are also staring redundancy squarely in the face.
The phoney recession is receding, propelling forward the grim reality that 2009 is, afterall, going to be painful for many.
Mince pie anyone?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research