Blog: The Elixir of Long Life
Olly Wehring | 30 March 2009
If the recession is getting you down, a trip to nothern England could do you the world of good.
Up in North Yorkshire, workers at Mount Grace Priory are hard at work trying to recreate the exact ancient recipe for Green Chartreuse, a green-coloured liqueur devised by Carthusian monks and named in a medieval manuscript as an "Elixir of Long Life".
The ancient recipe contains up to 130 different herbs and, according to the Priory's visitor operations manager, staff think they've nailed it.
In fact, the secret of longevity may be closer to you than you would imagine.
Chartreuse is still made in France, where the monks have succumbed to the lure of commercial success and set themselves up as a drinks and tourism business.
No disrespect, but who would have thought that the Elixir for Long Life would be available in UK retailer Oddbins for GBP19.99?
Is this why staff at Oddbins always seem so young? Still, at that price, you could probably get a few bottles for your friends to keep you company.
Click here to find a picture on the Chartreuse official website. Does this man know the secret of eternal life?
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l