Blog: The Elixir of Long Life
Olly Wehring | 30 March 2009
If the recession is getting you down, a trip to nothern England could do you the world of good.
Up in North Yorkshire, workers at Mount Grace Priory are hard at work trying to recreate the exact ancient recipe for Green Chartreuse, a green-coloured liqueur devised by Carthusian monks and named in a medieval manuscript as an "Elixir of Long Life".
The ancient recipe contains up to 130 different herbs and, according to the Priory's visitor operations manager, staff think they've nailed it.
In fact, the secret of longevity may be closer to you than you would imagine.
Chartreuse is still made in France, where the monks have succumbed to the lure of commercial success and set themselves up as a drinks and tourism business.
No disrespect, but who would have thought that the Elixir for Long Life would be available in UK retailer Oddbins for GBP19.99?
Is this why staff at Oddbins always seem so young? Still, at that price, you could probably get a few bottles for your friends to keep you company.
Click here to find a picture on the Chartreuse official website. Does this man know the secret of eternal life?
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018