Blog: The Elixir of Long Life
Olly Wehring | 30 March 2009
If the recession is getting you down, a trip to nothern England could do you the world of good.
Up in North Yorkshire, workers at Mount Grace Priory are hard at work trying to recreate the exact ancient recipe for Green Chartreuse, a green-coloured liqueur devised by Carthusian monks and named in a medieval manuscript as an "Elixir of Long Life".
The ancient recipe contains up to 130 different herbs and, according to the Priory's visitor operations manager, staff think they've nailed it.
In fact, the secret of longevity may be closer to you than you would imagine.
Chartreuse is still made in France, where the monks have succumbed to the lure of commercial success and set themselves up as a drinks and tourism business.
No disrespect, but who would have thought that the Elixir for Long Life would be available in UK retailer Oddbins for GBP19.99?
Is this why staff at Oddbins always seem so young? Still, at that price, you could probably get a few bottles for your friends to keep you company.
Click here to find a picture on the Chartreuse official website. Does this man know the secret of eternal life?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future