Blog: The Elixir of Long Life
Olly Wehring | 30 March 2009
If the recession is getting you down, a trip to nothern England could do you the world of good.
Up in North Yorkshire, workers at Mount Grace Priory are hard at work trying to recreate the exact ancient recipe for Green Chartreuse, a green-coloured liqueur devised by Carthusian monks and named in a medieval manuscript as an "Elixir of Long Life".
The ancient recipe contains up to 130 different herbs and, according to the Priory's visitor operations manager, staff think they've nailed it.
In fact, the secret of longevity may be closer to you than you would imagine.
Chartreuse is still made in France, where the monks have succumbed to the lure of commercial success and set themselves up as a drinks and tourism business.
No disrespect, but who would have thought that the Elixir for Long Life would be available in UK retailer Oddbins for GBP19.99?
Is this why staff at Oddbins always seem so young? Still, at that price, you could probably get a few bottles for your friends to keep you company.
Click here to find a picture on the Chartreuse official website. Does this man know the secret of eternal life?
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research