Blog: The Elixir of Long Life
Olly Wehring | 30 March 2009
If the recession is getting you down, a trip to nothern England could do you the world of good.
Up in North Yorkshire, workers at Mount Grace Priory are hard at work trying to recreate the exact ancient recipe for Green Chartreuse, a green-coloured liqueur devised by Carthusian monks and named in a medieval manuscript as an "Elixir of Long Life".
The ancient recipe contains up to 130 different herbs and, according to the Priory's visitor operations manager, staff think they've nailed it.
In fact, the secret of longevity may be closer to you than you would imagine.
Chartreuse is still made in France, where the monks have succumbed to the lure of commercial success and set themselves up as a drinks and tourism business.
No disrespect, but who would have thought that the Elixir for Long Life would be available in UK retailer Oddbins for GBP19.99?
Is this why staff at Oddbins always seem so young? Still, at that price, you could probably get a few bottles for your friends to keep you company.
Click here to find a picture on the Chartreuse official website. Does this man know the secret of eternal life?
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review