Blog: The economy - how bad is it? Ask the Russians
Olly Wehring | 25 November 2008
Just how murky is the economic gloom enveloping us all? You only have to ask the Russians.
I read an interesting piece from Reuters yesterday, which claimed that Russian drinkers are veering away from vodka in an attempt to save money, resulting in a glut of the drink in the country's supply chain. "People are having to save money, including on drinks, and this is connected to the impact of the financial crisis on people's disposable incomes," Pavel Shapkin, president of the National Alcohol Association, told Reuters.
So, they're drinking less, right? Wrong. The number of deaths from alcohol poisonings in September in the country rose to 1,458, Shapkin added, as consumers look to get their fix from all manner of illicit sources.
Speaking to a senior executive at a vodka company today, I found that the situation in Russia really is as bad as Reuters suggested. “Retailers in Russia are demanding longer credit terms,” he told me. “It's sliding up the chain.”
You know it's bad when the Russians aren't drinking vodka.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range