Blog: The economy - how bad is it? Ask the Russians
Olly Wehring | 25 November 2008
Just how murky is the economic gloom enveloping us all? You only have to ask the Russians.
I read an interesting piece from Reuters yesterday, which claimed that Russian drinkers are veering away from vodka in an attempt to save money, resulting in a glut of the drink in the country's supply chain. "People are having to save money, including on drinks, and this is connected to the impact of the financial crisis on people's disposable incomes," Pavel Shapkin, president of the National Alcohol Association, told Reuters.
So, they're drinking less, right? Wrong. The number of deaths from alcohol poisonings in September in the country rose to 1,458, Shapkin added, as consumers look to get their fix from all manner of illicit sources.
Speaking to a senior executive at a vodka company today, I found that the situation in Russia really is as bad as Reuters suggested. “Retailers in Russia are demanding longer credit terms,” he told me. “It's sliding up the chain.”
You know it's bad when the Russians aren't drinking vodka.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research