Blog: The economy - how bad is it? Ask the Russians
Olly Wehring | 25 November 2008
Just how murky is the economic gloom enveloping us all? You only have to ask the Russians.
I read an interesting piece from Reuters yesterday, which claimed that Russian drinkers are veering away from vodka in an attempt to save money, resulting in a glut of the drink in the country's supply chain. "People are having to save money, including on drinks, and this is connected to the impact of the financial crisis on people's disposable incomes," Pavel Shapkin, president of the National Alcohol Association, told Reuters.
So, they're drinking less, right? Wrong. The number of deaths from alcohol poisonings in September in the country rose to 1,458, Shapkin added, as consumers look to get their fix from all manner of illicit sources.
Speaking to a senior executive at a vodka company today, I found that the situation in Russia really is as bad as Reuters suggested. “Retailers in Russia are demanding longer credit terms,” he told me. “It's sliding up the chain.”
You know it's bad when the Russians aren't drinking vodka.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends