Blog: The drinks industry and the environment - tell us your stories
Olly Wehring | 13 March 2007
As our effect on the environment garners more and more column inches, I have to take my hat off to Anheuser-Busch for its latest efforts in this area.
The US-based brewer said yesterday (12 March) that it will plant one tree for each shareholder that chooses to receive its annual report next year online rather than a printed version.
Unnecessary wastage is a charge that can regularly be levelled at many of us in the drinks industry. My office is permanently cluttered with over-the-top, opulent packaging from press conferences and, short of reusing them for my permanent paperwork (I’m not that important), the only other option is to chuck the over-elaborate bumph out. And don’t start me on the amount of paper used for press releases.
So, another just-drinks crusade begins today. Feel free to let me know of any good turns you or your company is performing on the environmental front. And if you want to shame a company, then we want to hear about that too.
The best one wins a folder – or two.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018