Blog: The difference between UK and Russia? £3.03
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
A regular news topic in UK newspapers over the past few years has focussed on “Rip-Off Britain” – the perception that UK citizens pay over the odds for goods compared to their European or American counterparts.
In the quest for a slice of the ultra premium beer segment, however, Scottish & Newcastle has moved things to a whole new plain.
The British brewer started selling Baltika No3 beer in British style bars last year. The beer is made in Russia by Baltika, which is part-owned by S&N and Carlsberg’s joint venture, Baltic Beverage Holdings.
A 500 ml bottle of the brew from any kiosk or market on the streets of St Petersburg will set you back all of 18 pence. Quaff the same sized bottle in a bar in the UK, however, and expect to pay from £3.21.
Although it’s too early to tell how successful Baltika No3 will be in the UK, if it proves to be an earner for S&N, the company deserves a round of applause for prising that amount of margin from the brand.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review