Blog: The difference between UK and Russia? £3.03
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
A regular news topic in UK newspapers over the past few years has focussed on “Rip-Off Britain” – the perception that UK citizens pay over the odds for goods compared to their European or American counterparts.
In the quest for a slice of the ultra premium beer segment, however, Scottish & Newcastle has moved things to a whole new plain.
The British brewer started selling Baltika No3 beer in British style bars last year. The beer is made in Russia by Baltika, which is part-owned by S&N and Carlsberg’s joint venture, Baltic Beverage Holdings.
A 500 ml bottle of the brew from any kiosk or market on the streets of St Petersburg will set you back all of 18 pence. Quaff the same sized bottle in a bar in the UK, however, and expect to pay from £3.21.
Although it’s too early to tell how successful Baltika No3 will be in the UK, if it proves to be an earner for S&N, the company deserves a round of applause for prising that amount of margin from the brand.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends