Blog: The difference between UK and Russia? £3.03
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
A regular news topic in UK newspapers over the past few years has focussed on “Rip-Off Britain” – the perception that UK citizens pay over the odds for goods compared to their European or American counterparts.
In the quest for a slice of the ultra premium beer segment, however, Scottish & Newcastle has moved things to a whole new plain.
The British brewer started selling Baltika No3 beer in British style bars last year. The beer is made in Russia by Baltika, which is part-owned by S&N and Carlsberg’s joint venture, Baltic Beverage Holdings.
A 500 ml bottle of the brew from any kiosk or market on the streets of St Petersburg will set you back all of 18 pence. Quaff the same sized bottle in a bar in the UK, however, and expect to pay from £3.21.
Although it’s too early to tell how successful Baltika No3 will be in the UK, if it proves to be an earner for S&N, the company deserves a round of applause for prising that amount of margin from the brand.
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
After yesterday's introduction to Chile, today was all about Concha y Toro – that's to be expected, seeing as they invited me here....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)