Blog: The difference between UK and Russia? £3.03
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
A regular news topic in UK newspapers over the past few years has focussed on “Rip-Off Britain” – the perception that UK citizens pay over the odds for goods compared to their European or American counterparts.
In the quest for a slice of the ultra premium beer segment, however, Scottish & Newcastle has moved things to a whole new plain.
The British brewer started selling Baltika No3 beer in British style bars last year. The beer is made in Russia by Baltika, which is part-owned by S&N and Carlsberg’s joint venture, Baltic Beverage Holdings.
A 500 ml bottle of the brew from any kiosk or market on the streets of St Petersburg will set you back all of 18 pence. Quaff the same sized bottle in a bar in the UK, however, and expect to pay from £3.21.
Although it’s too early to tell how successful Baltika No3 will be in the UK, if it proves to be an earner for S&N, the company deserves a round of applause for prising that amount of margin from the brand.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets