Blog: The difference between UK and Russia? £3.03
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
A regular news topic in UK newspapers over the past few years has focussed on “Rip-Off Britain” – the perception that UK citizens pay over the odds for goods compared to their European or American counterparts.
In the quest for a slice of the ultra premium beer segment, however, Scottish & Newcastle has moved things to a whole new plain.
The British brewer started selling Baltika No3 beer in British style bars last year. The beer is made in Russia by Baltika, which is part-owned by S&N and Carlsberg’s joint venture, Baltic Beverage Holdings.
A 500 ml bottle of the brew from any kiosk or market on the streets of St Petersburg will set you back all of 18 pence. Quaff the same sized bottle in a bar in the UK, however, and expect to pay from £3.21.
Although it’s too early to tell how successful Baltika No3 will be in the UK, if it proves to be an earner for S&N, the company deserves a round of applause for prising that amount of margin from the brand.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research