Blog: The death of the dirndl?
Chris Brook-Carter | 5 August 2005
You see, we here in the UK don’t spend much of our year worrying about the sun. Our summer started and finished in the same week about a month ago. So, the European Union’s proposal to ensure employers of staff who work outdoors must ensure they cover up against the risk of sunburn wouldn't normally bother us. Until someone pointed out one little thing…
Bar keepers in Bavaria are up in arms over the Optical Radiation Directive, as they will be forced to cover up their barmaids. These beer servers traditionally wear a low-cut figure-hugging outfit called a dirndl. The bar owners have been told that the somewhat revealing dirndl will have to be replaced as it offers insufficient protection from sunlight.
“This is European law-making at its most pedantic,” Munich’s mayor, Christian Ude, said. “A waitress is no longer allowed to wander round a beer garden with a plunging neckline. I would not want to enter a beer garden under these conditions.”
He’s lucky to have had the pleasure, as it were, in the past. We don’t get such situations here – not for any moral reason, you understand, more that it’s bloody cold all the time.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery