Blog: The death of the dirndl?
Chris Brook-Carter | 5 August 2005
You see, we here in the UK don’t spend much of our year worrying about the sun. Our summer started and finished in the same week about a month ago. So, the European Union’s proposal to ensure employers of staff who work outdoors must ensure they cover up against the risk of sunburn wouldn't normally bother us. Until someone pointed out one little thing…
Bar keepers in Bavaria are up in arms over the Optical Radiation Directive, as they will be forced to cover up their barmaids. These beer servers traditionally wear a low-cut figure-hugging outfit called a dirndl. The bar owners have been told that the somewhat revealing dirndl will have to be replaced as it offers insufficient protection from sunlight.
“This is European law-making at its most pedantic,” Munich’s mayor, Christian Ude, said. “A waitress is no longer allowed to wander round a beer garden with a plunging neckline. I would not want to enter a beer garden under these conditions.”
He’s lucky to have had the pleasure, as it were, in the past. We don’t get such situations here – not for any moral reason, you understand, more that it’s bloody cold all the time.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends