Blog: The death of the dirndl?
Chris Brook-Carter | 5 August 2005
You see, we here in the UK don’t spend much of our year worrying about the sun. Our summer started and finished in the same week about a month ago. So, the European Union’s proposal to ensure employers of staff who work outdoors must ensure they cover up against the risk of sunburn wouldn't normally bother us. Until someone pointed out one little thing…
Bar keepers in Bavaria are up in arms over the Optical Radiation Directive, as they will be forced to cover up their barmaids. These beer servers traditionally wear a low-cut figure-hugging outfit called a dirndl. The bar owners have been told that the somewhat revealing dirndl will have to be replaced as it offers insufficient protection from sunlight.
“This is European law-making at its most pedantic,” Munich’s mayor, Christian Ude, said. “A waitress is no longer allowed to wander round a beer garden with a plunging neckline. I would not want to enter a beer garden under these conditions.”
He’s lucky to have had the pleasure, as it were, in the past. We don’t get such situations here – not for any moral reason, you understand, more that it’s bloody cold all the time.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends