Blog: The Coca-Cola Co's downward trajectory
Andy Morton | 8 June 2016
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking.
Coca-Cola ranked 13th in the latest BrandZ list, released yesterday, after being judged to have lost 4% of its brand value. Google, meanwhile, regained top spot from Apple in the annual list after increasing brand value by 32%.
Coca-Cola's fall follows a tough few years for the company. Sales in its core CSD category have fallen and the company has turned to juices and even dairy in a bid to boost the top line.
Yesterday there was more bad news for the soda channel when Keurig Green Mountain announced it was discontinuing its Keurig Kold home carbonation machine. Coca-Cola had been an early investor in the technology, which was released in the US only nine months ago.
With foresight like that, then, can we expect Coca-Cola to slide even further down the Brandz list next year?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends