Blog: The Coca-Cola Co's downward trajectory
Andy Morton | 8 June 2016
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking.
Coca-Cola ranked 13th in the latest BrandZ list, released yesterday, after being judged to have lost 4% of its brand value. Google, meanwhile, regained top spot from Apple in the annual list after increasing brand value by 32%.
Coca-Cola's fall follows a tough few years for the company. Sales in its core CSD category have fallen and the company has turned to juices and even dairy in a bid to boost the top line.
Yesterday there was more bad news for the soda channel when Keurig Green Mountain announced it was discontinuing its Keurig Kold home carbonation machine. Coca-Cola had been an early investor in the technology, which was released in the US only nine months ago.
With foresight like that, then, can we expect Coca-Cola to slide even further down the Brandz list next year?
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign