Blog: The British - Not 24-hour party people after all?
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 March 2005
The media hysteria surrounding the pending licensing changes in the UK may have been headed off at the pass.
A report on the BBC’s website today (18 March) said that only a handful of pubs in England and Wales have so far applied to extend their opening hours ahead of the new laws in November.
Not one bar in the UK has applied for 24-hour opening.
With only six pubs in London’s City of Westminster applying for licence extensions, and none at all in Liverpool and Manchester, the moral guardians amongst the UK press must be delighted.
Unless, of course, pubs and bars weren’t particularly keen on opening all day every day in the first place. Perish the thought…
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits