Blog: The British - Not 24-hour party people after all?
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 March 2005
The media hysteria surrounding the pending licensing changes in the UK may have been headed off at the pass.
A report on the BBC’s website today (18 March) said that only a handful of pubs in England and Wales have so far applied to extend their opening hours ahead of the new laws in November.
Not one bar in the UK has applied for 24-hour opening.
With only six pubs in London’s City of Westminster applying for licence extensions, and none at all in Liverpool and Manchester, the moral guardians amongst the UK press must be delighted.
Unless, of course, pubs and bars weren’t particularly keen on opening all day every day in the first place. Perish the thought…
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Global water targets risk hiding local concerns
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends