Blog: The best of British to you, drinks bods
Olly Wehring | 16 April 2007
As you are no doubt well aware, I’m as keen to pick on the drinks industry as I am to side with it - call it tough love, if you like, but when you guys do something daft, we call you on it. At the same time, if you folks are having it tough, then you know we’ll be right behind you in the last garrison.
You’ll probably know within the first sentence where I sit on this one.
Over the weekend, the Institute for Public Policy Research has called for the raising of the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. The think-tank believes that, if the step were made, “it is at least possible that those in their early- and mid-teens will not see drink as something they will soon be allowed to do, so, therefore, they might as well start doing it surreptitiously now".
That such a blunt instrument is being proposed and aired in the public domain worries me. At times I wonder how those charged with defending the drinks industry from such draconian measures that seek to cast it as the devil incarnate have any hair left.
Such a move would be like trying to uninvent the wheel and completely underestimates the complexity of the issue of alcohol harm.
What this latest propsal once again demonstrates is the need for the drinks industry to stand united by pro-actively seeking to engage all parties in this debate in the hunt for a reasoned and workable solution, that avoids the sort of clichéd drumbeating we have seen here.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends