Blog: The best of British to you, drinks bods
Olly Wehring | 16 April 2007
As you are no doubt well aware, I’m as keen to pick on the drinks industry as I am to side with it - call it tough love, if you like, but when you guys do something daft, we call you on it. At the same time, if you folks are having it tough, then you know we’ll be right behind you in the last garrison.
You’ll probably know within the first sentence where I sit on this one.
Over the weekend, the Institute for Public Policy Research has called for the raising of the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. The think-tank believes that, if the step were made, “it is at least possible that those in their early- and mid-teens will not see drink as something they will soon be allowed to do, so, therefore, they might as well start doing it surreptitiously now".
That such a blunt instrument is being proposed and aired in the public domain worries me. At times I wonder how those charged with defending the drinks industry from such draconian measures that seek to cast it as the devil incarnate have any hair left.
Such a move would be like trying to uninvent the wheel and completely underestimates the complexity of the issue of alcohol harm.
What this latest propsal once again demonstrates is the need for the drinks industry to stand united by pro-actively seeking to engage all parties in this debate in the hunt for a reasoned and workable solution, that avoids the sort of clichéd drumbeating we have seen here.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research