Blog: The best of British to you, drinks bods
Olly Wehring | 16 April 2007
As you are no doubt well aware, I’m as keen to pick on the drinks industry as I am to side with it - call it tough love, if you like, but when you guys do something daft, we call you on it. At the same time, if you folks are having it tough, then you know we’ll be right behind you in the last garrison.
You’ll probably know within the first sentence where I sit on this one.
Over the weekend, the Institute for Public Policy Research has called for the raising of the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. The think-tank believes that, if the step were made, “it is at least possible that those in their early- and mid-teens will not see drink as something they will soon be allowed to do, so, therefore, they might as well start doing it surreptitiously now".
That such a blunt instrument is being proposed and aired in the public domain worries me. At times I wonder how those charged with defending the drinks industry from such draconian measures that seek to cast it as the devil incarnate have any hair left.
Such a move would be like trying to uninvent the wheel and completely underestimates the complexity of the issue of alcohol harm.
What this latest propsal once again demonstrates is the need for the drinks industry to stand united by pro-actively seeking to engage all parties in this debate in the hunt for a reasoned and workable solution, that avoids the sort of clichéd drumbeating we have seen here.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review