Blog: The Balvenie reveals Peated Cask whisky
Chris Mercer | 12 August 2010
The Balvenie Peated Cask is set to divide opinion
The Balvenie Peated Cask is undoubtedly one of the most unusual products to emerge from master distiller David Stewart's Willy Wonka-style warehouse of late.
just-drinks was one of a select few to attend a first taste of The Balvenie Peated Cask 17 Year Old in London last night (apparently, this site has influence beyond its journalists' immediate families).
Having not been given details of the new product in advance, we were intrigued to learn that The Balvenie has gone down the peated road.
The finished product is nowhere near the hair-raising league of the Islay single malts, and not really even a match on Talisker's peat flavour, owing to the fact The Balvenie Peated Cask gets its flavour from the casks rather than peated malt.
The result is a light peat smoke on the nose, followed through by The Balvenie's core fruit character, with a little wood and spice.
Is it a winner? I'd say full marks for ingenuity, but the jury's out on the result. Given that only a few thousand cases have been made available worldwide, consumer curiosity among The Balvenie's core fanbase will probably sustain sales.
However, there is a danger that this whisky gets caught in the crack. Fans of peat-heavy whiskies from Scotland's Western Isles might well turn up their noses, while those who prefer a sweeter, fruitier touch could baulk at Balvenie Peated Cask.
Whatever happens, it's certainly an interesting experiment.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets