Blog: The Balvenie reveals Peated Cask whisky
Chris Mercer | 12 August 2010
The Balvenie Peated Cask is set to divide opinion
The Balvenie Peated Cask is undoubtedly one of the most unusual products to emerge from master distiller David Stewart's Willy Wonka-style warehouse of late.
just-drinks was one of a select few to attend a first taste of The Balvenie Peated Cask 17 Year Old in London last night (apparently, this site has influence beyond its journalists' immediate families).
Having not been given details of the new product in advance, we were intrigued to learn that The Balvenie has gone down the peated road.
The finished product is nowhere near the hair-raising league of the Islay single malts, and not really even a match on Talisker's peat flavour, owing to the fact The Balvenie Peated Cask gets its flavour from the casks rather than peated malt.
The result is a light peat smoke on the nose, followed through by The Balvenie's core fruit character, with a little wood and spice.
Is it a winner? I'd say full marks for ingenuity, but the jury's out on the result. Given that only a few thousand cases have been made available worldwide, consumer curiosity among The Balvenie's core fanbase will probably sustain sales.
However, there is a danger that this whisky gets caught in the crack. Fans of peat-heavy whiskies from Scotland's Western Isles might well turn up their noses, while those who prefer a sweeter, fruitier touch could baulk at Balvenie Peated Cask.
Whatever happens, it's certainly an interesting experiment.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends