Blog: The apprentice tackles the LIWF
Michelle Russell | 23 May 2008
This year's London International Wine Fair was a first for just-drinks reporter Michelle Russell. Here are some of her thoughts after a tiring and eventful three days.
Like a new recruit to Sir Alan Sugar’s boardroom, I recently became an apprentice myself – to the drinks industry.
This week was my first experience of the London International Wine Fair. An event spanning three days, in which I was to meet some of the biggest players in the wine and spirits industry, while also on the look out for scoops.
I went in feet first, ready to tackle anything that came my way. Including, of course, any wine tasting, for which my glass was always at the ready.
And so I write this on the slow train back to Birmingham where I can finally sit down, rest my weary feet and reflect on the last few days.
My visit to London certainly passed in somewhat of a blur…. a blur of meetings, seminars, news writing and the odd spot of lunch, if the opportunity arose.
I met some of the nicest people in the industry, an industry that feels extremely inviting and incredibly fun to be in.
Yet change in the industry seems almost continual and with that I feel I have a lot yet to learn.
But with Olly leading the way, I feel my knowledge of the industry is certainly greater leaving Excel’s doors than it was entering on Tuesday.
So with my feet nicely rested and the echo of Brummie accents in the distance, I pass on the wine just this once and sit back with a cup of Chiltern Railways’ finest brew.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research