Blog: The apprentice tackles the LIWF
Michelle Russell | 23 May 2008
This year's London International Wine Fair was a first for just-drinks reporter Michelle Russell. Here are some of her thoughts after a tiring and eventful three days.
Like a new recruit to Sir Alan Sugar’s boardroom, I recently became an apprentice myself – to the drinks industry.
This week was my first experience of the London International Wine Fair. An event spanning three days, in which I was to meet some of the biggest players in the wine and spirits industry, while also on the look out for scoops.
I went in feet first, ready to tackle anything that came my way. Including, of course, any wine tasting, for which my glass was always at the ready.
And so I write this on the slow train back to Birmingham where I can finally sit down, rest my weary feet and reflect on the last few days.
My visit to London certainly passed in somewhat of a blur…. a blur of meetings, seminars, news writing and the odd spot of lunch, if the opportunity arose.
I met some of the nicest people in the industry, an industry that feels extremely inviting and incredibly fun to be in.
Yet change in the industry seems almost continual and with that I feel I have a lot yet to learn.
But with Olly leading the way, I feel my knowledge of the industry is certainly greater leaving Excel’s doors than it was entering on Tuesday.
So with my feet nicely rested and the echo of Brummie accents in the distance, I pass on the wine just this once and sit back with a cup of Chiltern Railways’ finest brew.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends