Blog: That's closure
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 July 2004
When I am trying to describe the passion the issue of wine closures raises within the wine community to befuddled friends outside the industry, my standard line about screwcaps is that they will have finally won hearts and minds when we see top Bordeaux chateaux bottled with them.
Well according to a report in Decanter, that time may be just around the corner.
Chateau Margaux director Paul Pontallier has said he’s ‘ready to use anything’ as a closure ‘if it works.’
He is apparently putting the 2002 vintage of Margaux’s second wine Pavillon Rouge under screwcap as part of a major experiment into the two different closures, natural cork and screwcap.
Keen to stress that Bordeaux producers are both watching and contributing to the closure debate, he told the UK wine magazine: "While the universities concentrate on scientific research, there are many chateaux in Bordeaux which are now starting experiments. I am ready to use anything if it proves to work. What matters is the wine."
Heavy metal legend Bruce Dickinson - lead singer of the band Iron Maiden, for the unitiated - is clearly a man not afraid to get his hands dirty. ...
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously. ...
Does Pernod Ricard have something to hide? In a press conference after the release of full-year results today, only a quarter of the 100 minutes were given over to questions from journalists....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Carlsberg, Heineken, Coca-Cola Amatil, California's winelands and Cognac....
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory