Blog: TFWA World Exhibition - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2010
After Monday's gentle breaking in, the Tuesday is traditionally the day when the TFWA really starts to buzz. That was certainly the case for me.
Yesterday was a day of meetings, starting with a coffee with Alex Mervart from juice and purée producer Funkin. Alex is here to push Funkin's pouches to airports, while also hunting for spirits firms to tie-up with. The company has already partnered with the likes of Beam Global and Bacardi, with the co-branding of its cocktail mixers. More, please, asks Alex.
Then, to Patrón's stand to catch up with COO John McDonnell. I usually meet up with John once a year when he comes over to London, and I'm always impressed with his bullish approach to the industry. Yesterday was no exception, as you can hear for yourself.
A trek along La Croisette to the Hotel Martinez followed, to meet up with Solomon and Joshua Ani. The father/son combo have set up an import company for the Diamond Standard vodka brand, and are on the hunt for distributors. So, if you're looking for a EUR145 (US$200) per bottle vodka to sell to your high-end clients, give them a shout. And, no, they didn't give me a bottle.
Come sunset, come party. Firstly, William Grant & Sons hosted a drinks reception on a boat moored in the harbour to show off Glenfiddich 19-year-old. I have moments when I enjoy my job so much that I have to pinch myself – sunset on a boat (and what a boat - even the TV was huge), in Cannes, with a dram of single malt was one of those times.
Back to reality, of a sort, and off to the Carlton hotel for Pernod Ricard's annual dinner. As ever, it was good to catch up with several folk I hadn't seen for quite a while, and fun to put the head of Pernod's travel retail unit in the Americas on the spot.
It's been all go.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends