Blog: TFWA World Exhibition - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2010
After Monday's gentle breaking in, the Tuesday is traditionally the day when the TFWA really starts to buzz. That was certainly the case for me.
Yesterday was a day of meetings, starting with a coffee with Alex Mervart from juice and purée producer Funkin. Alex is here to push Funkin's pouches to airports, while also hunting for spirits firms to tie-up with. The company has already partnered with the likes of Beam Global and Bacardi, with the co-branding of its cocktail mixers. More, please, asks Alex.
Then, to Patrón's stand to catch up with COO John McDonnell. I usually meet up with John once a year when he comes over to London, and I'm always impressed with his bullish approach to the industry. Yesterday was no exception, as you can hear for yourself.
A trek along La Croisette to the Hotel Martinez followed, to meet up with Solomon and Joshua Ani. The father/son combo have set up an import company for the Diamond Standard vodka brand, and are on the hunt for distributors. So, if you're looking for a EUR145 (US$200) per bottle vodka to sell to your high-end clients, give them a shout. And, no, they didn't give me a bottle.
Come sunset, come party. Firstly, William Grant & Sons hosted a drinks reception on a boat moored in the harbour to show off Glenfiddich 19-year-old. I have moments when I enjoy my job so much that I have to pinch myself – sunset on a boat (and what a boat - even the TV was huge), in Cannes, with a dram of single malt was one of those times.
Back to reality, of a sort, and off to the Carlton hotel for Pernod Ricard's annual dinner. As ever, it was good to catch up with several folk I hadn't seen for quite a while, and fun to put the head of Pernod's travel retail unit in the Americas on the spot.
It's been all go.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets