Blog: TFWA World Exhibition - Day Two
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2010
After Monday's gentle breaking in, the Tuesday is traditionally the day when the TFWA really starts to buzz. That was certainly the case for me.
Yesterday was a day of meetings, starting with a coffee with Alex Mervart from juice and purée producer Funkin. Alex is here to push Funkin's pouches to airports, while also hunting for spirits firms to tie-up with. The company has already partnered with the likes of Beam Global and Bacardi, with the co-branding of its cocktail mixers. More, please, asks Alex.
Then, to Patrón's stand to catch up with COO John McDonnell. I usually meet up with John once a year when he comes over to London, and I'm always impressed with his bullish approach to the industry. Yesterday was no exception, as you can hear for yourself.
A trek along La Croisette to the Hotel Martinez followed, to meet up with Solomon and Joshua Ani. The father/son combo have set up an import company for the Diamond Standard vodka brand, and are on the hunt for distributors. So, if you're looking for a EUR145 (US$200) per bottle vodka to sell to your high-end clients, give them a shout. And, no, they didn't give me a bottle.
Come sunset, come party. Firstly, William Grant & Sons hosted a drinks reception on a boat moored in the harbour to show off Glenfiddich 19-year-old. I have moments when I enjoy my job so much that I have to pinch myself – sunset on a boat (and what a boat - even the TV was huge), in Cannes, with a dram of single malt was one of those times.
Back to reality, of a sort, and off to the Carlton hotel for Pernod Ricard's annual dinner. As ever, it was good to catch up with several folk I hadn't seen for quite a while, and fun to put the head of Pernod's travel retail unit in the Americas on the spot.
It's been all go.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research