Blog: TFWA World Exhibition - Day One
Olly Wehring | 19 October 2010
The Palais des Festivals et des Congrès in Cannes opened its doors yesterday morning (18 October) for the first day of the TFWA World Exhibition. The sun and the sea looked pretty inviting after leaving London in the dark, but it's in the halls of the Palais that the bulk of my time here will be spent.
The exhibition areas looked very lively for the first day, and it will be interesting to see if the pace keeps up during the busiest periods, today and tomorrow. The atmosphere was upbeat but, again, let's see if that was novelty or substance as the week goes on.
The evening kicked off with a tutored tasting of Diageo's Johnnie Walker Double Black by global brand ambassador, Jonathan Driver - one of the gentlemen of our industry. Afterwards, I was introduced to Jane Ewing, who has been managing director of Diageo's Global Travel and Middle East division for barely three months. Jane's promised me a few moments of her time later today, so drop me an email for any questions you may have for her.
Then, on to the Absolut party for the launch of Absolut Watkins. Cue, cocktails by the pool and synchronised swimmers.
Welcome to Cannes.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends