Blog: TFWA - The bubble continues
Andy Morton | 26 October 2012
Friday, the sixth and final day of TFWA, and as the heavens open above Cannes, just-drinks joins everyone in packing up and heading home.
The consensus seems to be that its been a good exhibition, another chance to meet with a wide range of clients and see some familiar faces.
If there has been an overarching trend, it's the continuation of travel retail innovations, or "differentiation" as Diageo called it at the launch of its exclusive-to-airports Johnnie Walker collection. Travel retail units are still chasing Russians and Chinese around the globe, whether they are ditching Egypt for Thailand or Turkey, while newly-affluent customers in Africa, such as Nigerians, are becoming increasingly talked about.
New technology is also starting to filter in and firms are slowly becoming aware of its potential. On a wider scale, the sector still seems to be in a bubble and less prone to economic headwinds felt elsewhere in the drinks market.
And, everyone we spoke to at the exhibition seemed confident that will continue, to next year at least.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research