Blog: TFWA - The bubble continues
Andy Morton | 26 October 2012
Friday, the sixth and final day of TFWA, and as the heavens open above Cannes, just-drinks joins everyone in packing up and heading home.
The consensus seems to be that its been a good exhibition, another chance to meet with a wide range of clients and see some familiar faces.
If there has been an overarching trend, it's the continuation of travel retail innovations, or "differentiation" as Diageo called it at the launch of its exclusive-to-airports Johnnie Walker collection. Travel retail units are still chasing Russians and Chinese around the globe, whether they are ditching Egypt for Thailand or Turkey, while newly-affluent customers in Africa, such as Nigerians, are becoming increasingly talked about.
New technology is also starting to filter in and firms are slowly becoming aware of its potential. On a wider scale, the sector still seems to be in a bubble and less prone to economic headwinds felt elsewhere in the drinks market.
And, everyone we spoke to at the exhibition seemed confident that will continue, to next year at least.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research