Blog: TFWA – I Cannes't believe it
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2008
Well, warnings that the TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes was “a bit Alice in Wonderland” appear bang on the money after last night's adventure.
Having been ferried out to St Marguerite Island by motorboat for 25 minutes, we were driven deeper into the heart of the island on dirt-track roads, the headlights picking out the woods either side. All very Blair Witch.
Then, after ten minutes, we were dispatched outside the entrance to Vijay Mallya's house – his villa – his private villa – his private villa on an island – the only private villa on the island – the only private villa on the island off the coast of Cannes.
Granted, the toilets on the recently purchased pad – rumoured to have cost Mallya EUR65m (US$81.5m) earlier this summer – smelt of fresh paint, but the location, its surroundings, its cocktails, its Champagne, its food, its pool, its entertainment – all of it really was rather... Alice in Wonderland.
I want to go again, this evening...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits