Blog: TFWA – I Cannes't believe it
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2008
Well, warnings that the TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes was “a bit Alice in Wonderland” appear bang on the money after last night's adventure.
Having been ferried out to St Marguerite Island by motorboat for 25 minutes, we were driven deeper into the heart of the island on dirt-track roads, the headlights picking out the woods either side. All very Blair Witch.
Then, after ten minutes, we were dispatched outside the entrance to Vijay Mallya's house – his villa – his private villa – his private villa on an island – the only private villa on the island – the only private villa on the island off the coast of Cannes.
Granted, the toilets on the recently purchased pad – rumoured to have cost Mallya EUR65m (US$81.5m) earlier this summer – smelt of fresh paint, but the location, its surroundings, its cocktails, its Champagne, its food, its pool, its entertainment – all of it really was rather... Alice in Wonderland.
I want to go again, this evening...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020