Blog: TFWA – I Cannes't believe it
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2008
Well, warnings that the TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes was “a bit Alice in Wonderland” appear bang on the money after last night's adventure.
Having been ferried out to St Marguerite Island by motorboat for 25 minutes, we were driven deeper into the heart of the island on dirt-track roads, the headlights picking out the woods either side. All very Blair Witch.
Then, after ten minutes, we were dispatched outside the entrance to Vijay Mallya's house – his villa – his private villa – his private villa on an island – the only private villa on the island – the only private villa on the island off the coast of Cannes.
Granted, the toilets on the recently purchased pad – rumoured to have cost Mallya EUR65m (US$81.5m) earlier this summer – smelt of fresh paint, but the location, its surroundings, its cocktails, its Champagne, its food, its pool, its entertainment – all of it really was rather... Alice in Wonderland.
I want to go again, this evening...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends