Blog: TFWA – I Cannes't believe it
Olly Wehring | 28 October 2008
Well, warnings that the TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes was “a bit Alice in Wonderland” appear bang on the money after last night's adventure.
Having been ferried out to St Marguerite Island by motorboat for 25 minutes, we were driven deeper into the heart of the island on dirt-track roads, the headlights picking out the woods either side. All very Blair Witch.
Then, after ten minutes, we were dispatched outside the entrance to Vijay Mallya's house – his villa – his private villa – his private villa on an island – the only private villa on the island – the only private villa on the island off the coast of Cannes.
Granted, the toilets on the recently purchased pad – rumoured to have cost Mallya EUR65m (US$81.5m) earlier this summer – smelt of fresh paint, but the location, its surroundings, its cocktails, its Champagne, its food, its pool, its entertainment – all of it really was rather... Alice in Wonderland.
I want to go again, this evening...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends