Blog: TFWA Day One - Let them drink wine!
Andy Morton | 22 October 2013
Yesterday was the first day of the 2013 Tax Free World Association World Exhibition and just-drinks is back on the Riviera to deliver a first-hand account of what is happening in the alcohol industry's most lavish get-together.
We didn't have long to wait for the likely winner of most opulent display. Step forward Bordeaux negotiant Cordier Mestrezat Grands Cru who has turned up this year with a gift box made from the wood of Marie Antoinette's favourite tree. The 322-year-old oak, which grew in the Palace of Versailles, died in 2003 and a few years later was shorn of its branches. Those very limbs under which Antoinette supposedly whiled away afternoons before she too succumbed to the blade have now been turned into three wine boxes that house four of Cordier Mestrezat's most high-end wines, including a Château Pape-Clément. Despite the EUR100,000 price tag, one of the three has already been sold, although future buyers should be aware that, due to the limited nature of the raw materials, only 15 will ever be made.
Cordier Mestrezat's export director Ronan Tremelot told just-drinks that the Royal4box is one way the company lets clients at TFWA know that it is not just another Bordeaux wine merchant. “It shows that we can create and invent new things. It shows that anything is possible.”
The parties in Cannes are as flash as the displays - the show brings more money in to the city than its higher-profile film festival. Last night was Pernod Ricard's turn, and the French group did not disappoint, with dinner in the Carlton hotel on the Croisette, hosted by future CEO Alex Ricard. But, as with Cordier Mestrezat, behind the pizazz lies the usual hard-headed business. The drinks firms are in Cannes to sell, and as the clock neared midnight, Ricard was off, not to bed but to a business meeting with clients.
Tiring enough, but then there's still four days left of this.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages