Blog: TFWA Cannes Day 2
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2009
just-drinks has rejected a day on the beach to spend today roaming the floor of the TFWA expo in Cannes. The things we do for you, dear readers.
Consensus on the floor is that the 2009 show has attracted fewer visitors than in recent years. You could hear a pin drop in the press office this afternoon - a place usually bustling with hungry journalists at any trade show.
However, once one is past the masses of security guards (perhaps they are to be included in the visitor figures?), unhelpful attendants, stupendously overpriced coffee and general pomp of this show, one can find a few green shoots of optimism among the duty-free afficionados on the floor.
There is hope, at least, that the worst is over for duty-free in the global economic downturn; that the sector has hit the bottom of the curve and may again begin to creep upwards.
"Some companies are saying that they believe October this year will be better than October last year. We think it should be," said Wojtek Wydro, managing director of duty free at French group Belvedere, which owns Danzka and Sobieski vodka brands.
Fingers crossed, then.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends