Blog: TFWA Cannes Day 2
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2009
just-drinks has rejected a day on the beach to spend today roaming the floor of the TFWA expo in Cannes. The things we do for you, dear readers.
Consensus on the floor is that the 2009 show has attracted fewer visitors than in recent years. You could hear a pin drop in the press office this afternoon - a place usually bustling with hungry journalists at any trade show.
However, once one is past the masses of security guards (perhaps they are to be included in the visitor figures?), unhelpful attendants, stupendously overpriced coffee and general pomp of this show, one can find a few green shoots of optimism among the duty-free afficionados on the floor.
There is hope, at least, that the worst is over for duty-free in the global economic downturn; that the sector has hit the bottom of the curve and may again begin to creep upwards.
"Some companies are saying that they believe October this year will be better than October last year. We think it should be," said Wojtek Wydro, managing director of duty free at French group Belvedere, which owns Danzka and Sobieski vodka brands.
Fingers crossed, then.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends