Blog: TFWA Cannes Day 2
Olly Wehring | 20 October 2009
just-drinks has rejected a day on the beach to spend today roaming the floor of the TFWA expo in Cannes. The things we do for you, dear readers.
Consensus on the floor is that the 2009 show has attracted fewer visitors than in recent years. You could hear a pin drop in the press office this afternoon - a place usually bustling with hungry journalists at any trade show.
However, once one is past the masses of security guards (perhaps they are to be included in the visitor figures?), unhelpful attendants, stupendously overpriced coffee and general pomp of this show, one can find a few green shoots of optimism among the duty-free afficionados on the floor.
There is hope, at least, that the worst is over for duty-free in the global economic downturn; that the sector has hit the bottom of the curve and may again begin to creep upwards.
"Some companies are saying that they believe October this year will be better than October last year. We think it should be," said Wojtek Wydro, managing director of duty free at French group Belvedere, which owns Danzka and Sobieski vodka brands.
Fingers crossed, then.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends