Blog: TFWA - a different world
Andy Morton | 24 October 2012
just-drinks is in Cannes for TFWA, the annual travel retail get-together, and it's not just the warm weather that marks this event out as a different world.
At the Pernod Ricard media meet-and-eat at the Majestic Hotel on La Croisette last night, the CEO of Pernod's Chivas Brothers Scotch and gin unit, Christian Porta, reminded everyone that one out of five bottles of Chivas is sold in travel retail.
It is a huge market for the big companies, which is why over the past few years, they have set up bespoke travel retail divisions that operate like any other regional arm.
But this is a vast and complex market, with many more variables than the average country. In what other sector would you hear people talking about Russians buying Jameson in Thailand, or Chinese buying Cognac in Italy, as they were at the Pernod event.
It is also a relatively rich place, so premiumisation is usually the buzzword here and visitors can expect to see some eye-watering ostentation on display.
just-drinks is here until the end of the show on Friday, so if you see us about make sure to stop for a chat.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Anheuser-Busch InBev shuts fourth Russian brewery
- Mallya stays chairman at Diageo's United Spirits