Blog: TFWA - a different world
Andy Morton | 24 October 2012
just-drinks is in Cannes for TFWA, the annual travel retail get-together, and it's not just the warm weather that marks this event out as a different world.
At the Pernod Ricard media meet-and-eat at the Majestic Hotel on La Croisette last night, the CEO of Pernod's Chivas Brothers Scotch and gin unit, Christian Porta, reminded everyone that one out of five bottles of Chivas is sold in travel retail.
It is a huge market for the big companies, which is why over the past few years, they have set up bespoke travel retail divisions that operate like any other regional arm.
But this is a vast and complex market, with many more variables than the average country. In what other sector would you hear people talking about Russians buying Jameson in Thailand, or Chinese buying Cognac in Italy, as they were at the Pernod event.
It is also a relatively rich place, so premiumisation is usually the buzzword here and visitors can expect to see some eye-watering ostentation on display.
just-drinks is here until the end of the show on Friday, so if you see us about make sure to stop for a chat.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends