Blog: Ten years gone, and a beta future
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 May 2010
As hard as it is for me to believe, today is actually my tenth anniversary here at just-drinks. In that time, the drinks industry has remained the welcoming, dynamic and fascinating sector it was when I started out on this then unknown publication.
In ten years, however, the landscape of the industry and the opportunities and threats executives face every day have changed beyond all recognition. Once great drinks businesses have disappeared altogether and other global behemoths have arrived seemingly from nowhere. Meanwhile, no one saw the alcohol lobby as the danger it has become and obesity, as an issue, hardly featured.
But, it's not just the industry that has changed. just-drinks has gone through three redesigns in that time, constantly striving to stay at the forefront of digital publishing. I am very pleased to announce, then, that this week marks the final countdown to a fourth relaunch. This time, however, it's not just the look of the site that is changing but the direction and ethos too.
Whilst we have built a reputation for breaking news and analysis, there is an understanding here at just-drinks that we need to deliver more. The news, of course, remains important, but our new insights section raises the bar in drinks publishing for daily comment, opinion and interviews.
A 'beta site' ('test-site' for those of us outside the techy world) of the new-look just-drinks is open for business now.
It can be found here.
We have just under a week before we go fully live, but are keen to give as many of our readers the opportunity to view, test and comment on the new design, columns and features on offer.
When we launch next week, there will be a full update on the thinking and objectives of the new site. Suffice to say that we believe it will deliver a huge step forward in the daily delivery of drinks information, insight and intelligence.
Remember, as a beta site, there are still a few issues to iron out. But, the countdown to the latest incarnation of just-drinks has begun and we'd love to hear your thoughts by clicking here.
In the meantime, let me take this opportunity to thank everyone I have met over the last ten years. I have been privileged to rub shoulders with and interview some amazing characters and cover some huge stories. Our readership throughout that time has been our greatest asset: supportive of just-drinks yet never afraid to tell us where we are going wrong. I look forward to many good years ahead.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research