Blog: Ten years gone, and a beta future
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 May 2010
As hard as it is for me to believe, today is actually my tenth anniversary here at just-drinks. In that time, the drinks industry has remained the welcoming, dynamic and fascinating sector it was when I started out on this then unknown publication.
In ten years, however, the landscape of the industry and the opportunities and threats executives face every day have changed beyond all recognition. Once great drinks businesses have disappeared altogether and other global behemoths have arrived seemingly from nowhere. Meanwhile, no one saw the alcohol lobby as the danger it has become and obesity, as an issue, hardly featured.
But, it's not just the industry that has changed. just-drinks has gone through three redesigns in that time, constantly striving to stay at the forefront of digital publishing. I am very pleased to announce, then, that this week marks the final countdown to a fourth relaunch. This time, however, it's not just the look of the site that is changing but the direction and ethos too.
Whilst we have built a reputation for breaking news and analysis, there is an understanding here at just-drinks that we need to deliver more. The news, of course, remains important, but our new insights section raises the bar in drinks publishing for daily comment, opinion and interviews.
A 'beta site' ('test-site' for those of us outside the techy world) of the new-look just-drinks is open for business now.
It can be found here.
We have just under a week before we go fully live, but are keen to give as many of our readers the opportunity to view, test and comment on the new design, columns and features on offer.
When we launch next week, there will be a full update on the thinking and objectives of the new site. Suffice to say that we believe it will deliver a huge step forward in the daily delivery of drinks information, insight and intelligence.
Remember, as a beta site, there are still a few issues to iron out. But, the countdown to the latest incarnation of just-drinks has begun and we'd love to hear your thoughts by clicking here.
In the meantime, let me take this opportunity to thank everyone I have met over the last ten years. I have been privileged to rub shoulders with and interview some amazing characters and cover some huge stories. Our readership throughout that time has been our greatest asset: supportive of just-drinks yet never afraid to tell us where we are going wrong. I look forward to many good years ahead.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India