Blog: Talisker: Made by the Sea (but not this sea)
Chris Mercer | 26 November 2010
Diageo annoys locals by using French coastline to promote Talisker
Diageo has committed something of a faux-pas by using an image of the French coastline to publicise its Talisker Scotch whisky.
The drinks giant recently began its first global push on Talisker and is using a poster that depicts a lighthouse on the island of Le Creac’h, off the coast of Brittany. The poster contains the slogan "made by the sea". Locals on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, where the Talisker distillery lies, are a little irked.
If you've never been to Skye, then add it to your list. I have been and it seems pretty odd to me that the island's outstanding natural beauty was not used exclusively to front Diageo's campaign, which began last month with a GBP1.6m marketing spend in the UK alone.
A spokesperson for Diageo said that the group will also be using a photo of the lighthouse at Neist Point on Skye during the Talisker campaign. "The purpose of these dramatic seascapes is to contrast the elemental power of standing by a rugged coastline with the warmth and exhilaration of drinking Talisker," Diageo told just-drinks.
“The intention is to expand and develop the campaign and to feature other iconic maritime images which capture the essence of Talisker and which reflect the global nature of this iconic whisky brand," it added.
Seeing as not all Talisker whisky is matured at the distillery on Skye (there is not enough space), and that the barley must first travel to Diageo's big maltings not far from Inverness before the distillery goes to work, I suppose the picture of a French lighthouse in the campaign poster is just another detour.
Marketing is full of embellishment, of course. The question is: how far can poetic licence stretch? And, in this case, does Diageo need to stretch it? The Isle of Skye is bursting with myths, legends and brooding landscapes.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research