Blog: Taint necessarily so
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 March 2004
A company is claiming to have found a solution for cork taint in wine. US-based Vinterus Technologies has invented the Wine Rescue filtration device, which removes Trichloroanisole (TCA), the compound produced when cork particles react with chemicals in wine from a bottle of wine, while preserving the taste and colour components that give wine its character.
Wine Rescue is a bottle-top pump with an internal filter unit that is inserted on the top of a wine bottle. The device contains a unique leak-proof seal, allowing the filtered wine to be dispersed into a decanter.
When Wine Rescue is placed on a wine bottle and the button is depressed, an internal pump injects air into the bottle, forcing wine up through a dip tube and through the filter disk. The filter disk contains an activated carbon disk, which attracts larger, organic molecules to its surface, including TCA.
The device will be available later this month to both wineries and consumers. For more information, visit: www.winerescue.com.
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down