Blog: Taint necessarily so
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 March 2004
A company is claiming to have found a solution for cork taint in wine. US-based Vinterus Technologies has invented the Wine Rescue filtration device, which removes Trichloroanisole (TCA), the compound produced when cork particles react with chemicals in wine from a bottle of wine, while preserving the taste and colour components that give wine its character.
Wine Rescue is a bottle-top pump with an internal filter unit that is inserted on the top of a wine bottle. The device contains a unique leak-proof seal, allowing the filtered wine to be dispersed into a decanter.
When Wine Rescue is placed on a wine bottle and the button is depressed, an internal pump injects air into the bottle, forcing wine up through a dip tube and through the filter disk. The filter disk contains an activated carbon disk, which attracts larger, organic molecules to its surface, including TCA.
The device will be available later this month to both wineries and consumers. For more information, visit: www.winerescue.com.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US