Blog: Taint necessarily so
Chris Brook-Carter | 1 March 2004
A company is claiming to have found a solution for cork taint in wine. US-based Vinterus Technologies has invented the Wine Rescue filtration device, which removes Trichloroanisole (TCA), the compound produced when cork particles react with chemicals in wine from a bottle of wine, while preserving the taste and colour components that give wine its character.
Wine Rescue is a bottle-top pump with an internal filter unit that is inserted on the top of a wine bottle. The device contains a unique leak-proof seal, allowing the filtered wine to be dispersed into a decanter.
When Wine Rescue is placed on a wine bottle and the button is depressed, an internal pump injects air into the bottle, forcing wine up through a dip tube and through the filter disk. The filter disk contains an activated carbon disk, which attracts larger, organic molecules to its surface, including TCA.
The device will be available later this month to both wineries and consumers. For more information, visit: www.winerescue.com.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018