Blog: SWEDEN: Weak advertising or strong warnings
Olly Wehring | 5 February 2008
A Swedish magazine for whisky drinkers has been threatened with a fine of over US$15k for advertising strong spirits. Oh, the irony.
Last week, Swedish publisher Tasty New Publishing’s ‘Allt om Whisky’ title was pulled up by the Swedish consumer ombudsman (KO) after having allegedly breached the law in its fourth edition. Slapped wrists all round.
Magazines in Sweden are prohibited by law to print ads for products containing more that 15% alcohol. But apparently, a loophole allows the magazines to carry strong spirit adverts if they are distributed either from alcohol haunts or by getting readers to consent to them.
So, I have a plan: bring the offending magazines over to mine and I’ll throw a big whisky party, the mags can go in the party bags upon leaving. No one’s breaking the law because it’s an alcohol-infused den anyway and… Oh, wait, I forgot – I don’t live in Sweden.
Night bus to South London, anyone?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends