Blog: SWEDEN: Weak advertising or strong warnings
Olly Wehring | 5 February 2008
A Swedish magazine for whisky drinkers has been threatened with a fine of over US$15k for advertising strong spirits. Oh, the irony.
Last week, Swedish publisher Tasty New Publishing’s ‘Allt om Whisky’ title was pulled up by the Swedish consumer ombudsman (KO) after having allegedly breached the law in its fourth edition. Slapped wrists all round.
Magazines in Sweden are prohibited by law to print ads for products containing more that 15% alcohol. But apparently, a loophole allows the magazines to carry strong spirit adverts if they are distributed either from alcohol haunts or by getting readers to consent to them.
So, I have a plan: bring the offending magazines over to mine and I’ll throw a big whisky party, the mags can go in the party bags upon leaving. No one’s breaking the law because it’s an alcohol-infused den anyway and… Oh, wait, I forgot – I don’t live in Sweden.
Night bus to South London, anyone?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends