Blog: Surprising(?) figures on UK wine consumers
Chris Mercer | 23 November 2011
Figures released by Accolade Wines show that half of "regular" wine drinkers in the UK don't know that Cabernet Sauvignon is a red wine. And, that's not all.
Among the other insights offer by Accolade's Wine Nation report, published today (23 November), is that only around one in four of wine drinkers questioned knew that Rioja is a wine producing region.
I could carry on, but you get the idea. Of course, it's easy for everyone within the wine industry to sit around chortling about the ignorance of the uncivilised, plonk-swigging masses.
But, before anyone does, is it important that people don't know whether Rioja is a region or simply a type of wine? If they like the style and they seek out the name, one could argue that's all that matters.
I'm all for a bit of education, but you can't force it down people's throats. Many UK consumers buy wine on promotion and will continue to do so until the juice runs dry. Some will take greater interest in the styles on offer. Before that, though, they need to learn to enjoy wine.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring AG Barr, Bombay Sapphire, Wines of South Africa and Pabst Brewing Co....
It seems there's not much in the world that can make people smile these days. Luckily, we're part of an industry that has just been scientifically proven to do just that. ...
Despite accounting for just a small percentage of overall sales, craft beer is making an impression on the US....
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- NPD: The Craft Cocktail Revolution
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Suntory Holdings to split beer, spirits division
- Quintessential Brands changes MD at Essential unit