Blog: Suppliers should brace for the King of tough years
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 January 2011
If you remain under any illusions as to how tough the UK retail scene continues to be - and let's face it, it will probably get worse this year - then look no further than an article on our sister site just-food yesterday, quoting Sainsbury's CEO, Justin King.
Suppliers, he said, would have to "work very hard" to justify price increases as commodity costs continue to rise.
Speaking exclusively to just-food, King said that many of the commodity cost increases, particularly on wheat, had been "widely predicted" and that suppliers should have prepared by hedging against them.
It's unusual to hear rhetoric like this in the public domain. We all know that negotiations between suppliers and supermarket buyers are robust, but they largely remain behind closed doors. That King has made these comments in public is perhaps a reflection of the inevitably more heated nature of the debate in coming months.
Over Christmas I had a couple of conversations with well-placed sources who believed we would see a small number of high profile desertions of the UK supermarket sector from within the wine trade this year.
With no sign that margin pressures will go anywhere positive again this year, who can blame them?
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends