Blog: Suppliers should brace for the King of tough years
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 January 2011
If you remain under any illusions as to how tough the UK retail scene continues to be - and let's face it, it will probably get worse this year - then look no further than an article on our sister site just-food yesterday, quoting Sainsbury's CEO, Justin King.
Suppliers, he said, would have to "work very hard" to justify price increases as commodity costs continue to rise.
Speaking exclusively to just-food, King said that many of the commodity cost increases, particularly on wheat, had been "widely predicted" and that suppliers should have prepared by hedging against them.
It's unusual to hear rhetoric like this in the public domain. We all know that negotiations between suppliers and supermarket buyers are robust, but they largely remain behind closed doors. That King has made these comments in public is perhaps a reflection of the inevitably more heated nature of the debate in coming months.
Over Christmas I had a couple of conversations with well-placed sources who believed we would see a small number of high profile desertions of the UK supermarket sector from within the wine trade this year.
With no sign that margin pressures will go anywhere positive again this year, who can blame them?
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research