Blog: Suppliers should brace for the King of tough years
Chris Brook-Carter | 13 January 2011
If you remain under any illusions as to how tough the UK retail scene continues to be - and let's face it, it will probably get worse this year - then look no further than an article on our sister site just-food yesterday, quoting Sainsbury's CEO, Justin King.
Suppliers, he said, would have to "work very hard" to justify price increases as commodity costs continue to rise.
Speaking exclusively to just-food, King said that many of the commodity cost increases, particularly on wheat, had been "widely predicted" and that suppliers should have prepared by hedging against them.
It's unusual to hear rhetoric like this in the public domain. We all know that negotiations between suppliers and supermarket buyers are robust, but they largely remain behind closed doors. That King has made these comments in public is perhaps a reflection of the inevitably more heated nature of the debate in coming months.
Over Christmas I had a couple of conversations with well-placed sources who believed we would see a small number of high profile desertions of the UK supermarket sector from within the wine trade this year.
With no sign that margin pressures will go anywhere positive again this year, who can blame them?
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research