Blog: Super discount market
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 February 2004
Predictions of a wine glut and the fallout of ferocious competition between retail majors are now having an impact on Australia’s retail wine market.
Bottled wine is this week being nationally advertised at A$3.95-$3.99, (US$3.00 - $3.03) the brands being those of the respected major producers Angove and DeBortoli.
When government taxes of more than 40% are factored in, it becomes apparent that margins are exceptionally slim.
Behind the buyers' strength are three factors: the domestic retail trade is increasingly dominated by two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles Myer, who force economies of scale; the 2004 vintage now imminent is predicted to be 28% above that of 2003 with consequent serious pressure on storage space for new wine; and the export trade, although buoyant, is being dented by the unexpected strength of the Australian dollar, currently trading at US$0.76.
By our Australian correspondent Tony Baker
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research