Blog: Super discount market
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 February 2004
Predictions of a wine glut and the fallout of ferocious competition between retail majors are now having an impact on Australia’s retail wine market.
Bottled wine is this week being nationally advertised at A$3.95-$3.99, (US$3.00 - $3.03) the brands being those of the respected major producers Angove and DeBortoli.
When government taxes of more than 40% are factored in, it becomes apparent that margins are exceptionally slim.
Behind the buyers' strength are three factors: the domestic retail trade is increasingly dominated by two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles Myer, who force economies of scale; the 2004 vintage now imminent is predicted to be 28% above that of 2003 with consequent serious pressure on storage space for new wine; and the export trade, although buoyant, is being dented by the unexpected strength of the Australian dollar, currently trading at US$0.76.
By our Australian correspondent Tony Baker
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review