Blog: Super discount market
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 February 2004
Predictions of a wine glut and the fallout of ferocious competition between retail majors are now having an impact on Australia’s retail wine market.
Bottled wine is this week being nationally advertised at A$3.95-$3.99, (US$3.00 - $3.03) the brands being those of the respected major producers Angove and DeBortoli.
When government taxes of more than 40% are factored in, it becomes apparent that margins are exceptionally slim.
Behind the buyers' strength are three factors: the domestic retail trade is increasingly dominated by two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles Myer, who force economies of scale; the 2004 vintage now imminent is predicted to be 28% above that of 2003 with consequent serious pressure on storage space for new wine; and the export trade, although buoyant, is being dented by the unexpected strength of the Australian dollar, currently trading at US$0.76.
By our Australian correspondent Tony Baker
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research