Blog: Super discount market
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 February 2004
Predictions of a wine glut and the fallout of ferocious competition between retail majors are now having an impact on Australia’s retail wine market.
Bottled wine is this week being nationally advertised at A$3.95-$3.99, (US$3.00 - $3.03) the brands being those of the respected major producers Angove and DeBortoli.
When government taxes of more than 40% are factored in, it becomes apparent that margins are exceptionally slim.
Behind the buyers' strength are three factors: the domestic retail trade is increasingly dominated by two supermarket giants, Woolworths and Coles Myer, who force economies of scale; the 2004 vintage now imminent is predicted to be 28% above that of 2003 with consequent serious pressure on storage space for new wine; and the export trade, although buoyant, is being dented by the unexpected strength of the Australian dollar, currently trading at US$0.76.
By our Australian correspondent Tony Baker
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends