Blog: Stung by the 'popular' press - Who'd have thunk it?
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As some of you may have read, in the blog posting below, I have graced the UK's television screens today. ITN News interviewed me for an "educated" opinion on the UK's chief medical officer's recommendation that children under the age of 15 should not be given alcohol at all.
My ten seconds of fame, however, have been tarnished somewhat, by a caption describing me as an "Alcohol Industry Spokesman".
In this (wholly incorrect) capacity, I tell viewers that I believe introducing teenagers to alcohol in a controlled environment supervised by their parents and not to excess, whilst teaching them to respect drink, cannot be anything but a good thing.
Not the most radical opinion, I'm sure you'll agree.
But, as an 'Alcohol Industry Spokesman', this gives out totally the wrong message.
Please be assured, that I have contacted ITN and asked them to clarify the capacity in which my comments were given.
I'll keep you posted.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends