Blog: Stung by the 'popular' press - Who'd have thunk it?
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As some of you may have read, in the blog posting below, I have graced the UK's television screens today. ITN News interviewed me for an "educated" opinion on the UK's chief medical officer's recommendation that children under the age of 15 should not be given alcohol at all.
My ten seconds of fame, however, have been tarnished somewhat, by a caption describing me as an "Alcohol Industry Spokesman".
In this (wholly incorrect) capacity, I tell viewers that I believe introducing teenagers to alcohol in a controlled environment supervised by their parents and not to excess, whilst teaching them to respect drink, cannot be anything but a good thing.
Not the most radical opinion, I'm sure you'll agree.
But, as an 'Alcohol Industry Spokesman', this gives out totally the wrong message.
Please be assured, that I have contacted ITN and asked them to clarify the capacity in which my comments were given.
I'll keep you posted.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020