Blog: Stung by the 'popular' press - Who'd have thunk it?
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As some of you may have read, in the blog posting below, I have graced the UK's television screens today. ITN News interviewed me for an "educated" opinion on the UK's chief medical officer's recommendation that children under the age of 15 should not be given alcohol at all.
My ten seconds of fame, however, have been tarnished somewhat, by a caption describing me as an "Alcohol Industry Spokesman".
In this (wholly incorrect) capacity, I tell viewers that I believe introducing teenagers to alcohol in a controlled environment supervised by their parents and not to excess, whilst teaching them to respect drink, cannot be anything but a good thing.
Not the most radical opinion, I'm sure you'll agree.
But, as an 'Alcohol Industry Spokesman', this gives out totally the wrong message.
Please be assured, that I have contacted ITN and asked them to clarify the capacity in which my comments were given.
I'll keep you posted.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends