Blog: Stung by the 'popular' press - Who'd have thunk it?
Olly Wehring | 29 January 2009
As some of you may have read, in the blog posting below, I have graced the UK's television screens today. ITN News interviewed me for an "educated" opinion on the UK's chief medical officer's recommendation that children under the age of 15 should not be given alcohol at all.
My ten seconds of fame, however, have been tarnished somewhat, by a caption describing me as an "Alcohol Industry Spokesman".
In this (wholly incorrect) capacity, I tell viewers that I believe introducing teenagers to alcohol in a controlled environment supervised by their parents and not to excess, whilst teaching them to respect drink, cannot be anything but a good thing.
Not the most radical opinion, I'm sure you'll agree.
But, as an 'Alcohol Industry Spokesman', this gives out totally the wrong message.
Please be assured, that I have contacted ITN and asked them to clarify the capacity in which my comments were given.
I'll keep you posted.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends