Blog: Student excess isn't the problem it was, admits UK minister - video
James Wilmore | 30 May 2014
The UK Government has signalled its intent to tackle the issue of excessive alcohol consumption among university-goers.
That sounds like a tough ask, you may think. But, the Home Office is spending GBP90,000 (US$150,500) in the first year of a 12-month pilot scheme at seven universities across England and Wales.
For once though, the Home Office isn’t giving alcohol a complete bashing. In a video released by the department, minister Norman Baker admits that binge-drinking in universities is a “smaller problem than it used to be, but is still there”, while “alcohol has its place in society", but "shouldn’t be overwhelming in a student environment".
He added: "The student generation understands that in a way previous generations didn’t." There is some hope yet, then.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
Owens-Illinois has bought Vitro, a major glass supplier to Constellation Brands, for US$2.15bn....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Heaven Hill Brands has completed its acquisition of the Deep Eddy Vodka brand....
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research