Blog: Student excess isn't the problem it was, admits UK minister - video
James Wilmore | 30 May 2014
The UK Government has signalled its intent to tackle the issue of excessive alcohol consumption among university-goers.
That sounds like a tough ask, you may think. But, the Home Office is spending GBP90,000 (US$150,500) in the first year of a 12-month pilot scheme at seven universities across England and Wales.
For once though, the Home Office isn’t giving alcohol a complete bashing. In a video released by the department, minister Norman Baker admits that binge-drinking in universities is a “smaller problem than it used to be, but is still there”, while “alcohol has its place in society", but "shouldn’t be overwhelming in a student environment".
He added: "The student generation understands that in a way previous generations didn’t." There is some hope yet, then.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Brewers in the UK are relaunching the 'Let There Be Beer' campaign under a fresh banner, including a new TV ad as part of a GBP10m (US$16m) spend. ...
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom