Blog: Student excess isn't the problem it was, admits UK minister - video
James Wilmore | 30 May 2014
The UK Government has signalled its intent to tackle the issue of excessive alcohol consumption among university-goers.
That sounds like a tough ask, you may think. But, the Home Office is spending GBP90,000 (US$150,500) in the first year of a 12-month pilot scheme at seven universities across England and Wales.
For once though, the Home Office isn’t giving alcohol a complete bashing. In a video released by the department, minister Norman Baker admits that binge-drinking in universities is a “smaller problem than it used to be, but is still there”, while “alcohol has its place in society", but "shouldn’t be overwhelming in a student environment".
He added: "The student generation understands that in a way previous generations didn’t." There is some hope yet, then.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
We finally have some numbers to play with in Anheuser-Busch InBev's tussle with SABMiller. Add in a deadline that is only days away, and we've got ourselves our own drinks industry cliffhanger going o...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research