Blog: Student excess isn't the problem it was, admits UK minister - video
James Wilmore | 30 May 2014
The UK Government has signalled its intent to tackle the issue of excessive alcohol consumption among university-goers.
That sounds like a tough ask, you may think. But, the Home Office is spending GBP90,000 (US$150,500) in the first year of a 12-month pilot scheme at seven universities across England and Wales.
For once though, the Home Office isn’t giving alcohol a complete bashing. In a video released by the department, minister Norman Baker admits that binge-drinking in universities is a “smaller problem than it used to be, but is still there”, while “alcohol has its place in society", but "shouldn’t be overwhelming in a student environment".
He added: "The student generation understands that in a way previous generations didn’t." There is some hope yet, then.
The camera soars low over fields of spiked agave plants, past workers toiling under the hot Mexican sun. You turn your head as you drift into the hold of a truck. Suddenly you're in a bustling Tequila...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research