Blog: Student excess isn't the problem it was, admits UK minister - video
James Wilmore | 30 May 2014
The UK Government has signalled its intent to tackle the issue of excessive alcohol consumption among university-goers.
That sounds like a tough ask, you may think. But, the Home Office is spending GBP90,000 (US$150,500) in the first year of a 12-month pilot scheme at seven universities across England and Wales.
For once though, the Home Office isn’t giving alcohol a complete bashing. In a video released by the department, minister Norman Baker admits that binge-drinking in universities is a “smaller problem than it used to be, but is still there”, while “alcohol has its place in society", but "shouldn’t be overwhelming in a student environment".
He added: "The student generation understands that in a way previous generations didn’t." There is some hope yet, then.
SABMiller may have been trying to sneak news of its Brazilian tie-up with Petropolis under the radar, but the news comes on the back of pronouncements by the brewer that it is keen to up its presence ...
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
French syrup maker Monin has confirmed plans to invest EUR30m (US$37.2m) in doubling its production capacity, in response to strong international sales growth....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research