Blog: Strongbow over ice? Heineken hits up the ghost of Magners past
James Wilmore | 3 October 2014
Is Heineken hoping to repeat the trick that shot Magners to fame with its new Strongbow campaign in the US?
Earlier this week, the Dutch brewer unveiled a new TV ad for its cider brand which, wait for it, encourages drinkers to sup their alcoholic apples over ice. You may recall that Ireland's C&C Group scored a coup in the mid-2000s with a similar tactic in the UK.
It's a smart move by Heineken, considering the increasingly-crowded US hard cider market. Over ice is a neat selling point.
The only question is, how long will the trend last for Heineken, if consumers catch on? For C&C, the Magners moment was well-and-truly over by 2010.
With cider still a tiny proportion of the overall US beer market, though, it's worth a try either way.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends