Blog: Strongbow over ice? Heineken hits up the ghost of Magners past
James Wilmore | 3 October 2014
Is Heineken hoping to repeat the trick that shot Magners to fame with its new Strongbow campaign in the US?
Earlier this week, the Dutch brewer unveiled a new TV ad for its cider brand which, wait for it, encourages drinkers to sup their alcoholic apples over ice. You may recall that Ireland's C&C Group scored a coup in the mid-2000s with a similar tactic in the UK.
It's a smart move by Heineken, considering the increasingly-crowded US hard cider market. Over ice is a neat selling point.
The only question is, how long will the trend last for Heineken, if consumers catch on? For C&C, the Magners moment was well-and-truly over by 2010.
With cider still a tiny proportion of the overall US beer market, though, it's worth a try either way.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Low-alcohol beer firm Big Drop Brewing Co has added a pale ale to its line-up. ...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World