Blog: Strongbow over ice? Heineken hits up the ghost of Magners past
James Wilmore | 3 October 2014
Is Heineken hoping to repeat the trick that shot Magners to fame with its new Strongbow campaign in the US?
Earlier this week, the Dutch brewer unveiled a new TV ad for its cider brand which, wait for it, encourages drinkers to sup their alcoholic apples over ice. You may recall that Ireland's C&C Group scored a coup in the mid-2000s with a similar tactic in the UK.
It's a smart move by Heineken, considering the increasingly-crowded US hard cider market. Over ice is a neat selling point.
The only question is, how long will the trend last for Heineken, if consumers catch on? For C&C, the Magners moment was well-and-truly over by 2010.
With cider still a tiny proportion of the overall US beer market, though, it's worth a try either way.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Global Beer Georgia has secured a near-US$20m loan to build a brewery in the country that will produce Heineken brands under licence....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends