Blog: Strongbow over ice? Heineken hits up the ghost of Magners past
James Wilmore | 3 October 2014
Is Heineken hoping to repeat the trick that shot Magners to fame with its new Strongbow campaign in the US?
Earlier this week, the Dutch brewer unveiled a new TV ad for its cider brand which, wait for it, encourages drinkers to sup their alcoholic apples over ice. You may recall that Ireland's C&C Group scored a coup in the mid-2000s with a similar tactic in the UK.
It's a smart move by Heineken, considering the increasingly-crowded US hard cider market. Over ice is a neat selling point.
The only question is, how long will the trend last for Heineken, if consumers catch on? For C&C, the Magners moment was well-and-truly over by 2010.
With cider still a tiny proportion of the overall US beer market, though, it's worth a try either way.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends