Blog: Strongbow over ice? Heineken hits up the ghost of Magners past
James Wilmore | 3 October 2014
Is Heineken hoping to repeat the trick that shot Magners to fame with its new Strongbow campaign in the US?
Earlier this week, the Dutch brewer unveiled a new TV ad for its cider brand which, wait for it, encourages drinkers to sup their alcoholic apples over ice. You may recall that Ireland's C&C Group scored a coup in the mid-2000s with a similar tactic in the UK.
It's a smart move by Heineken, considering the increasingly-crowded US hard cider market. Over ice is a neat selling point.
The only question is, how long will the trend last for Heineken, if consumers catch on? For C&C, the Magners moment was well-and-truly over by 2010.
With cider still a tiny proportion of the overall US beer market, though, it's worth a try either way.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research