Blog: Storm brewing over price of Heineken at the Olympics
James Wilmore | 31 May 2012
Us Brits love a good whinge. And when it comes to the price of beer, we’re world class.
The media knows this and has picked up on the fact that a bottle of 330ml Heineken will cost GBP4.20 at this summer’s Olympics. Or as the good old Daily Mail pointed out GBP7.23 a pint. Admittedly, for those that argue beer is a democratic drink, partly because of its price, this isn’t very democratic.
A spokesman for Heineken gave us this statement: "Whilst we would expect pricing for a premium beer such as Heineken to be comparable with prices at other prestigious sporting or events venues, we have no control over retail pricing which is a matter for LOCOG and their catering partners."
So, over to Olympic organisers, LOCOG. Paul Deighton, chief exec said the prices were “comparable to other major sporting events”. He added: “We believe that our prices are more than comparable to those found at other major sporting events, which because of their temporary nature are often more expensive than the high street.”
Oh well. At least at that price, it might deter binge drinking - another obsession among parts of the UK national media...
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review