Blog: Storm brewing over price of Heineken at the Olympics
James Wilmore | 31 May 2012
Us Brits love a good whinge. And when it comes to the price of beer, we’re world class.
The media knows this and has picked up on the fact that a bottle of 330ml Heineken will cost GBP4.20 at this summer’s Olympics. Or as the good old Daily Mail pointed out GBP7.23 a pint. Admittedly, for those that argue beer is a democratic drink, partly because of its price, this isn’t very democratic.
A spokesman for Heineken gave us this statement: "Whilst we would expect pricing for a premium beer such as Heineken to be comparable with prices at other prestigious sporting or events venues, we have no control over retail pricing which is a matter for LOCOG and their catering partners."
So, over to Olympic organisers, LOCOG. Paul Deighton, chief exec said the prices were “comparable to other major sporting events”. He added: “We believe that our prices are more than comparable to those found at other major sporting events, which because of their temporary nature are often more expensive than the high street.”
Oh well. At least at that price, it might deter binge drinking - another obsession among parts of the UK national media...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research