Blog: Sticky Wicket
Chris Brook-Carter | 18 August 2003
It just seems amazing to me that at a time when the drinks industry is under such intense scrutiny for the affects of its advertising on alcohol misuse - particularly by minors - that spirits adverts are screening during the middle of the day and perhaps even worse during a sports event.
If the alcohol industry is to convince its doubters that it is more than capable of regulating its own advertising standards it needs to demonstrate a far greater degree of restraint than it currently is.
Just-drinks has argued previously that it believes companies like Bacardi and Diageo need to re-evaluate the content of their RTD advertising. While there is nothing wrong with the content of The Famous Grouse's marketing some common sense about the timing is needed before the government makes a decision on regulating alcohol advertising standards.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020