Blog: Stevia - a bitter pill for sugar?
Andy Morton | 14 March 2013
There's an interesting article on sugar prices in this week's New York magazine that will no doubt raise the ire of soft drinks executives.
It claims that despite massive government subsidies - and a recent big harvest - the US sugar industry is keeping prices artificially high.
But while the writer calls for an Occupy Sugar protest, the US drinks companies paying through the nose for sugar may have another answer. More stevia-based beverages are coming down the pipe each week, from PepsiCo's Trop50 range to The Coca-Cola Co's revamped Sprite, and the natural extract, which is 30 times sweeter than sugar, could insulate firms from the sugar industry.
As I wrote this year, stevia growers are already benefiting from an increase in interest in the plant.
Of course, who's to say that a few years down the line we won't need protecting from the all-powerful stevia lobby, who's huge profits have won it the ear of Washington and the patronage of the president?
Remember, you heard it here first - Occupy Stevia!
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts