Blog: Sshhh! Don't mention the lawsuit
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2010
Constellation Brands would have us believe that everything is sweetness and light between itself and joint venture partner Grupo Modelo.
Everyone is best of friends down at Crown Imports, according to Constellation CEO Rob Sands, despite the fact that the US beer venture's owners have been engaged in a legal dispute.
It's like the scene from the hit television series Fawlty Towers here in the UK, where the English hotel owner reminds staff not to mention the war to a party of German guests. "I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it," goes the line.
However trivial the lawsuit filed by Modelo - and Constellation has called it "financially immaterial" - can two firms really work past a dispute that has reached such a level?
For now, both sides appear to be getting on with the job.
But, I would still question their long-term relationship. If, as expected, Anheuser-Busch InBev swoops in and buys up Modelo then I doubt Crown will survive the change. A-B InBev doesn't need distribution funds from Constellation.
Perhaps that is the break that both companies can see on the horizon.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends