Blog: Sshhh! Don't mention the lawsuit
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2010
Constellation Brands would have us believe that everything is sweetness and light between itself and joint venture partner Grupo Modelo.
Everyone is best of friends down at Crown Imports, according to Constellation CEO Rob Sands, despite the fact that the US beer venture's owners have been engaged in a legal dispute.
It's like the scene from the hit television series Fawlty Towers here in the UK, where the English hotel owner reminds staff not to mention the war to a party of German guests. "I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it," goes the line.
However trivial the lawsuit filed by Modelo - and Constellation has called it "financially immaterial" - can two firms really work past a dispute that has reached such a level?
For now, both sides appear to be getting on with the job.
But, I would still question their long-term relationship. If, as expected, Anheuser-Busch InBev swoops in and buys up Modelo then I doubt Crown will survive the change. A-B InBev doesn't need distribution funds from Constellation.
Perhaps that is the break that both companies can see on the horizon.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends