Blog: Sshhh! Don't mention the lawsuit
Chris Mercer | 5 July 2010
Constellation Brands would have us believe that everything is sweetness and light between itself and joint venture partner Grupo Modelo.
Everyone is best of friends down at Crown Imports, according to Constellation CEO Rob Sands, despite the fact that the US beer venture's owners have been engaged in a legal dispute.
It's like the scene from the hit television series Fawlty Towers here in the UK, where the English hotel owner reminds staff not to mention the war to a party of German guests. "I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it," goes the line.
However trivial the lawsuit filed by Modelo - and Constellation has called it "financially immaterial" - can two firms really work past a dispute that has reached such a level?
For now, both sides appear to be getting on with the job.
But, I would still question their long-term relationship. If, as expected, Anheuser-Busch InBev swoops in and buys up Modelo then I doubt Crown will survive the change. A-B InBev doesn't need distribution funds from Constellation.
Perhaps that is the break that both companies can see on the horizon.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends