Blog: Spirits in the UK - trade up while prices go down?
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2007
At Diageo’s interim results last week, we managed to grab hold of the head of the company’s European operations, Andrew Morgan, for a quick one-to-one (the results of that chat will be ready exclusively for you, dear reader, tomorrow).
The UK off-trade spirits market seems to be high on the agenda, not only for Morgan, but also for Adrian McKeon, Beam UK’s MD (with whom we also have an exclusive interview coming up later this month), and Pernod Ricard UK. The latter has trumpeted its strong showing in the sector today (19 February), while highlighting how tough the market has become.
In the last eight weeks of 2006, Pernod said, the overall spirits category in the UK was down by 1% in value and by 4% in volume. While Pernod may have outperformed the market as a whole, the battle of Christmas 2007 will may drag the French group into the fray.
Morgan, meanwhile, conceded that the battlefield is getting bloodier. “We did draw something of a line in the sand in terms of what we were prepared to support with the retailers this Christmas and it cost us volume,” he told us. “We knew we’d lose some significant volumes, but as far as I’m concerned this is the right thing to do for the brands. It was negative for us but this is about the health of our brands for the long-term.”
So, is this some sort of tipping point? How do these drinks companies, so keen on ‘premiumisation’ and trading up, maintain this ethos while spirits sales - and volumes - slide in a market dictated by price? Does this not do the brands some damage? And where will this all end?
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US