Blog: Spirits in the UK - trade up while prices go down?
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2007
At Diageo’s interim results last week, we managed to grab hold of the head of the company’s European operations, Andrew Morgan, for a quick one-to-one (the results of that chat will be ready exclusively for you, dear reader, tomorrow).
The UK off-trade spirits market seems to be high on the agenda, not only for Morgan, but also for Adrian McKeon, Beam UK’s MD (with whom we also have an exclusive interview coming up later this month), and Pernod Ricard UK. The latter has trumpeted its strong showing in the sector today (19 February), while highlighting how tough the market has become.
In the last eight weeks of 2006, Pernod said, the overall spirits category in the UK was down by 1% in value and by 4% in volume. While Pernod may have outperformed the market as a whole, the battle of Christmas 2007 will may drag the French group into the fray.
Morgan, meanwhile, conceded that the battlefield is getting bloodier. “We did draw something of a line in the sand in terms of what we were prepared to support with the retailers this Christmas and it cost us volume,” he told us. “We knew we’d lose some significant volumes, but as far as I’m concerned this is the right thing to do for the brands. It was negative for us but this is about the health of our brands for the long-term.”
So, is this some sort of tipping point? How do these drinks companies, so keen on ‘premiumisation’ and trading up, maintain this ethos while spirits sales - and volumes - slide in a market dictated by price? Does this not do the brands some damage? And where will this all end?
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review