Blog: Spirits in the UK - trade up while prices go down?
Olly Wehring | 19 February 2007
At Diageo’s interim results last week, we managed to grab hold of the head of the company’s European operations, Andrew Morgan, for a quick one-to-one (the results of that chat will be ready exclusively for you, dear reader, tomorrow).
The UK off-trade spirits market seems to be high on the agenda, not only for Morgan, but also for Adrian McKeon, Beam UK’s MD (with whom we also have an exclusive interview coming up later this month), and Pernod Ricard UK. The latter has trumpeted its strong showing in the sector today (19 February), while highlighting how tough the market has become.
In the last eight weeks of 2006, Pernod said, the overall spirits category in the UK was down by 1% in value and by 4% in volume. While Pernod may have outperformed the market as a whole, the battle of Christmas 2007 will may drag the French group into the fray.
Morgan, meanwhile, conceded that the battlefield is getting bloodier. “We did draw something of a line in the sand in terms of what we were prepared to support with the retailers this Christmas and it cost us volume,” he told us. “We knew we’d lose some significant volumes, but as far as I’m concerned this is the right thing to do for the brands. It was negative for us but this is about the health of our brands for the long-term.”
So, is this some sort of tipping point? How do these drinks companies, so keen on ‘premiumisation’ and trading up, maintain this ethos while spirits sales - and volumes - slide in a market dictated by price? Does this not do the brands some damage? And where will this all end?
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages