Blog: Spirited advance
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 November 2003
“This is an unfavourable trend for beer, which we expect to continue. But we also expect beer to rebound over the next 12 months, returning to a much smaller decrement versus spirits growth,” he said.
The major factor, Swartzberg believes, is that the current generation of young adults drinks less beer per capita than prior generations, favouring spirits instead. He pointed to data from Miller Brewing, which estimates that the US population of 21- to 27-year-olds drinks 72% more beer than the average adult. However, this population's per capita consumption will decline approximately 1.1% per year for the period 2002-2007.
He also believes that the spirits category is less susceptible to adverse weather and potentially less impacted by a weak economy than beer, though both categories have similar exposures to the more economically sensitive on-premise sector.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends