Blog: Spirited advance
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 November 2003
“This is an unfavourable trend for beer, which we expect to continue. But we also expect beer to rebound over the next 12 months, returning to a much smaller decrement versus spirits growth,” he said.
The major factor, Swartzberg believes, is that the current generation of young adults drinks less beer per capita than prior generations, favouring spirits instead. He pointed to data from Miller Brewing, which estimates that the US population of 21- to 27-year-olds drinks 72% more beer than the average adult. However, this population's per capita consumption will decline approximately 1.1% per year for the period 2002-2007.
He also believes that the spirits category is less susceptible to adverse weather and potentially less impacted by a weak economy than beer, though both categories have similar exposures to the more economically sensitive on-premise sector.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review