Blog: Some things don't add up at The Coca-Cola Co
Andy Morton | 25 February 2016
Coca-Cola is involved in a trademark tussle
The Coca-Cola Co is smarting after an EU court setback in its attempt to trademark a new bottle design.
You can read the story here, but of perhaps greater interest is a nugget of information contained in the court's ruling (here) that raises questions over documents submitted by Coca-Cola to support an earlier appeal.
In 2014, The EU’s trademark office, known as OHIM, was highly critical of consumer surveys from Coca-Cola, saying it "expressed serious doubts" over their reliability. OHIM's Board of Appeals said the surveys contained “leading questions” and produced results that, confusingly, did not even add up to 100%.
Also, the board said that instead of being carried out by a “recognised market research company”, as stated by Coca-Cola, the surveys were handled by a former Coca-Cola director who had become an independent market research consultant.
Is this simply corporate ineptitude? Coca-Cola declined to respond to just-drinks beyond saying it was disappointed with the EU court's ruling.
But, it is a surprise to find a company as big as Coca-Cola unable to even make consumer survey percentages add up to a whole number. Does nobody have a calculator in Atlanta?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Coca-Cola European Partners has lowered the sugar content of Fanta Orange by a third in the UK to bring the product under the threshold of the country's pending sugar tax....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets