Blog: Some things don't add up at The Coca-Cola Co
Andy Morton | 25 February 2016
Coca-Cola is involved in a trademark tussle
The Coca-Cola Co is smarting after an EU court setback in its attempt to trademark a new bottle design.
You can read the story here, but of perhaps greater interest is a nugget of information contained in the court's ruling (here) that raises questions over documents submitted by Coca-Cola to support an earlier appeal.
In 2014, The EU’s trademark office, known as OHIM, was highly critical of consumer surveys from Coca-Cola, saying it "expressed serious doubts" over their reliability. OHIM's Board of Appeals said the surveys contained “leading questions” and produced results that, confusingly, did not even add up to 100%.
Also, the board said that instead of being carried out by a “recognised market research company”, as stated by Coca-Cola, the surveys were handled by a former Coca-Cola director who had become an independent market research consultant.
Is this simply corporate ineptitude? Coca-Cola declined to respond to just-drinks beyond saying it was disappointed with the EU court's ruling.
But, it is a surprise to find a company as big as Coca-Cola unable to even make consumer survey percentages add up to a whole number. Does nobody have a calculator in Atlanta?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits