Blog: Soft drinks industry upbeat at lunch
Michelle Russell | 8 June 2011
The great and the good of the UK soft drinks industry gathered yesterday (7 June) for the annual British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) lunch.
This year, we had the pleasure of dining in The Underglobe, on London's Bankside, a perfectly suitable bunker to host over 250 industry leaders from the likes of Coca-Cola GB, AG Barr and Britvic.
BSDA president Roger White kicked off proceedings by praising the "remarkably resilient" soft drinks industry.
With the gloom of recession still lingering, rising raw materials costs have become a major concern for many soft drinks companies this year. Britvic has already sounded a warning.
Despite the tough economic times the industry has faced over the last few years, the atmosphere was remarkably upbeat. Many in the industry appear confident that the sector is well-equipped to navigate the choppy waters that may lie ahead.
White praised the industry's performances to date, before handing to guest speaker Andrew Neil. The broadcaster needed no reason to lighten the mood, but nonetheless delivered an entertaining view of the coalition government, much to the amusement of the crowd - and his most avid listener - the tree.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research