Blog: Soft drinks industry upbeat at lunch
Michelle Russell | 8 June 2011
The great and the good of the UK soft drinks industry gathered yesterday (7 June) for the annual British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) lunch.
This year, we had the pleasure of dining in The Underglobe, on London's Bankside, a perfectly suitable bunker to host over 250 industry leaders from the likes of Coca-Cola GB, AG Barr and Britvic.
BSDA president Roger White kicked off proceedings by praising the "remarkably resilient" soft drinks industry.
With the gloom of recession still lingering, rising raw materials costs have become a major concern for many soft drinks companies this year. Britvic has already sounded a warning.
Despite the tough economic times the industry has faced over the last few years, the atmosphere was remarkably upbeat. Many in the industry appear confident that the sector is well-equipped to navigate the choppy waters that may lie ahead.
White praised the industry's performances to date, before handing to guest speaker Andrew Neil. The broadcaster needed no reason to lighten the mood, but nonetheless delivered an entertaining view of the coalition government, much to the amusement of the crowd - and his most avid listener - the tree.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range