Blog: Soft drinks industry upbeat at lunch
Michelle Russell | 8 June 2011
The great and the good of the UK soft drinks industry gathered yesterday (7 June) for the annual British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) lunch.
This year, we had the pleasure of dining in The Underglobe, on London's Bankside, a perfectly suitable bunker to host over 250 industry leaders from the likes of Coca-Cola GB, AG Barr and Britvic.
BSDA president Roger White kicked off proceedings by praising the "remarkably resilient" soft drinks industry.
With the gloom of recession still lingering, rising raw materials costs have become a major concern for many soft drinks companies this year. Britvic has already sounded a warning.
Despite the tough economic times the industry has faced over the last few years, the atmosphere was remarkably upbeat. Many in the industry appear confident that the sector is well-equipped to navigate the choppy waters that may lie ahead.
White praised the industry's performances to date, before handing to guest speaker Andrew Neil. The broadcaster needed no reason to lighten the mood, but nonetheless delivered an entertaining view of the coalition government, much to the amusement of the crowd - and his most avid listener - the tree.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research