Blog: Soft drinks industry upbeat at lunch
Michelle Russell | 8 June 2011
The great and the good of the UK soft drinks industry gathered yesterday (7 June) for the annual British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) lunch.
This year, we had the pleasure of dining in The Underglobe, on London's Bankside, a perfectly suitable bunker to host over 250 industry leaders from the likes of Coca-Cola GB, AG Barr and Britvic.
BSDA president Roger White kicked off proceedings by praising the "remarkably resilient" soft drinks industry.
With the gloom of recession still lingering, rising raw materials costs have become a major concern for many soft drinks companies this year. Britvic has already sounded a warning.
Despite the tough economic times the industry has faced over the last few years, the atmosphere was remarkably upbeat. Many in the industry appear confident that the sector is well-equipped to navigate the choppy waters that may lie ahead.
White praised the industry's performances to date, before handing to guest speaker Andrew Neil. The broadcaster needed no reason to lighten the mood, but nonetheless delivered an entertaining view of the coalition government, much to the amusement of the crowd - and his most avid listener - the tree.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends