Blog: Soft drinks going soft?
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 July 2004
US bottler stocks have been strong performers of recent times, as the market anticipates earnings momentum deriving from an inflationary US economy and increased price leadership by the market leader, the Coke system.
So it was interesting to receive a research note from Legg Mason last week, casting some doubt on the sector's performance going forward.
The note considered whether revenue momentum for carbonated soft drinks will sustain in 2005. It did so against a backdrop of what have become widely-held market expectations of increased revenue momentum in 2004.
"We do not expect category revenue momentum to sustain in 2005 due to positive but slowing price realisation. In principle, this is a risk to bottlers' earnings growth given the low-margin nature of bottling," said Mark Swartzberg, Legg Mason's beverage analyst.
Swartzberg went on to explain that the leading regulator of rates of sector price growth is broad rates of inflation, or consumers as a group, not competitive unity or disunity.
Correspondingly, if economic forecasts are right, further inflation in 2004 will be
followed by a slowdown in inflation in 2005, suggesting a slowdown in revenue growth for carbonated soft drinks, Swartzberg said.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)