Blog: Soft drinks going soft?
Chris Brook-Carter | 12 July 2004
US bottler stocks have been strong performers of recent times, as the market anticipates earnings momentum deriving from an inflationary US economy and increased price leadership by the market leader, the Coke system.
So it was interesting to receive a research note from Legg Mason last week, casting some doubt on the sector's performance going forward.
The note considered whether revenue momentum for carbonated soft drinks will sustain in 2005. It did so against a backdrop of what have become widely-held market expectations of increased revenue momentum in 2004.
"We do not expect category revenue momentum to sustain in 2005 due to positive but slowing price realisation. In principle, this is a risk to bottlers' earnings growth given the low-margin nature of bottling," said Mark Swartzberg, Legg Mason's beverage analyst.
Swartzberg went on to explain that the leading regulator of rates of sector price growth is broad rates of inflation, or consumers as a group, not competitive unity or disunity.
Correspondingly, if economic forecasts are right, further inflation in 2004 will be
followed by a slowdown in inflation in 2005, suggesting a slowdown in revenue growth for carbonated soft drinks, Swartzberg said.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research