Blog: Soft drinks? Ban 'em all!
Olly Wehring | 23 July 2007
See, it’s all well and good when The Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo tell us about their efforts when it comes to the environment, but one of our readers has a far better idea. I hand you over to our anonymous scribe, who I doubt works in the soft drinks industry…
“What contribution do you think soft drinks make to the CO2 emissions total? Firstly it is necessary to determine where CO2 comes from for our fizzy drinks. According to the British Soft Drinks Association: "Carbon dioxide is a by-product of the petroleum, fertilizer and gas industries [not carbon neutral] and of alcoholic fermentation. In countries where bulk supplies are not available, carbon dioxide can be generated on site by the combustion of oil. After purification by washing and passing through columns of alumina or activated carbon..." each litre of soft drink contains about 10g of CO2.
“Next, how much soft drink is consumed each year worldwide? According to Deloitte, the industry is worth about US$347bn per year. If we value a soft drink at about US$1 per litre, that makes 3.4m tonnes of CO2 per year from soft drinks. That is more CO2 than countries like Albania and Georgia produce each year.
“Surely carbonated drinks are an extravagance we can do without when our earth is in such trouble - surprisingly this seems not to have been addressed by the Al Gore alarmist types.”
Should I start a petition?
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends