Blog: S&N - reaping the rewards of its balancing act
Olly Wehring | 20 February 2007
UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle thinks it has got the balance of its business just about right.
S&N, which today (20 February) posted a 7% rise in full-year revenue and a 10.1% hike in operating profit, gave a breakdown of its figures showing just how important both sides of that balance are to each other.
On the one hand, there is UK and Western Europe - the dullest beer markets in the world, in one sense. The two markets delivered slow profit growth of 1.5% and 1.1% respectively for S&N in 2006. Total operating profit from the two came in at GBP384m (US$750.5m) for the period.
Over at Baltic Beverages Holding, S&N’s joint venture with Carlsberg, operating profit was a bit more colourful - up a massive 42.9% to GBP160m for the year.
By the group’s own admission, the year was a game of two halves – “The dullards of the UK and International (Western Europe) are providing all the cash,” said John Dunsmore, managing director of S&N UK.
Dunsmore was quick to wave the figures under critics who believe the brewer is over-exposed to mature markets. He said: “It’s these mature businesses which are feeding our other operations with cash, allowing us to grow into new, developing markets.”
With the announcement, also today, that S&N has followed its operations in China and India with a new joint venture in Vietnam, could the company become more of a global force to be reckoned with in the future?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report