Blog: S&N - reaping the rewards of its balancing act
Olly Wehring | 20 February 2007
UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle thinks it has got the balance of its business just about right.
S&N, which today (20 February) posted a 7% rise in full-year revenue and a 10.1% hike in operating profit, gave a breakdown of its figures showing just how important both sides of that balance are to each other.
On the one hand, there is UK and Western Europe - the dullest beer markets in the world, in one sense. The two markets delivered slow profit growth of 1.5% and 1.1% respectively for S&N in 2006. Total operating profit from the two came in at GBP384m (US$750.5m) for the period.
Over at Baltic Beverages Holding, S&N’s joint venture with Carlsberg, operating profit was a bit more colourful - up a massive 42.9% to GBP160m for the year.
By the group’s own admission, the year was a game of two halves – “The dullards of the UK and International (Western Europe) are providing all the cash,” said John Dunsmore, managing director of S&N UK.
Dunsmore was quick to wave the figures under critics who believe the brewer is over-exposed to mature markets. He said: “It’s these mature businesses which are feeding our other operations with cash, allowing us to grow into new, developing markets.”
With the announcement, also today, that S&N has followed its operations in China and India with a new joint venture in Vietnam, could the company become more of a global force to be reckoned with in the future?
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets