Blog: S&N - reaping the rewards of its balancing act
Olly Wehring | 20 February 2007
UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle thinks it has got the balance of its business just about right.
S&N, which today (20 February) posted a 7% rise in full-year revenue and a 10.1% hike in operating profit, gave a breakdown of its figures showing just how important both sides of that balance are to each other.
On the one hand, there is UK and Western Europe - the dullest beer markets in the world, in one sense. The two markets delivered slow profit growth of 1.5% and 1.1% respectively for S&N in 2006. Total operating profit from the two came in at GBP384m (US$750.5m) for the period.
Over at Baltic Beverages Holding, S&N’s joint venture with Carlsberg, operating profit was a bit more colourful - up a massive 42.9% to GBP160m for the year.
By the group’s own admission, the year was a game of two halves – “The dullards of the UK and International (Western Europe) are providing all the cash,” said John Dunsmore, managing director of S&N UK.
Dunsmore was quick to wave the figures under critics who believe the brewer is over-exposed to mature markets. He said: “It’s these mature businesses which are feeding our other operations with cash, allowing us to grow into new, developing markets.”
With the announcement, also today, that S&N has followed its operations in China and India with a new joint venture in Vietnam, could the company become more of a global force to be reckoned with in the future?
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research