Blog: S&N - reaping the rewards of its balancing act
Olly Wehring | 20 February 2007
UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle thinks it has got the balance of its business just about right.
S&N, which today (20 February) posted a 7% rise in full-year revenue and a 10.1% hike in operating profit, gave a breakdown of its figures showing just how important both sides of that balance are to each other.
On the one hand, there is UK and Western Europe - the dullest beer markets in the world, in one sense. The two markets delivered slow profit growth of 1.5% and 1.1% respectively for S&N in 2006. Total operating profit from the two came in at GBP384m (US$750.5m) for the period.
Over at Baltic Beverages Holding, S&N’s joint venture with Carlsberg, operating profit was a bit more colourful - up a massive 42.9% to GBP160m for the year.
By the group’s own admission, the year was a game of two halves – “The dullards of the UK and International (Western Europe) are providing all the cash,” said John Dunsmore, managing director of S&N UK.
Dunsmore was quick to wave the figures under critics who believe the brewer is over-exposed to mature markets. He said: “It’s these mature businesses which are feeding our other operations with cash, allowing us to grow into new, developing markets.”
With the announcement, also today, that S&N has followed its operations in China and India with a new joint venture in Vietnam, could the company become more of a global force to be reckoned with in the future?
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research