Blog: S&N – It’s not what you do, it’s what you don’t do?
Olly Wehring | 24 January 2008
Well, it seems we have another 24 hours to wait before learning of Scottish & Newcastle’s fate. And, it appears, S&N’s CEO can spend the next day mulling how he’s going to spend his prospective windfall.
A report in The Times here in the UK earlier this week has claimed that John Dunsmore is in line to receive in the region of GBP3m (US$5.9m), should Carlsberg and Heineken succeed in acquiring the UK brewer.
Depending on how this saga pans out, Dunsmore could be hailed as a hardball player of the highest degree. He didn’t blink at the three previous offers from the European brewers, refusing even to meet and discuss the matter with them.
Sure GBP3m is quite a lot of money for doing very little, in this instance. But perhaps the old adage that ‘less is more’ could finally be proved conclusive.
Tomorrow will tell.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review