Blog: S&N and SAB - Will they? Won't they?
Olly Wehring | 12 April 2007
The Scottish & Newcastle/SABMiller talk has been going on all week over here. Will SABMiller make a move for its smaller rival? Is S&N going to become the next notch on SAB’s bedpost?
Enough think the answer is ‘yes’, for S&N’s share price to start shouting at you from the page.
Some cynical journos – and no, that doesn’t include us, honest – think, however, that the rumours might be the work of those making hay while the share price shines.
One thing to bear in mind, whichever side of the fence you lie on this. The UK Takeover Panel, who keeps an eye on notable share price movements, can oblige a company to state their intentions if it believes there might be something to the rumours.
That panel, however, has been markedly silent.
So don’t go getting too excited, you S&N shareholders.
Do you have a water source in your garden? By which, I mean a spring, rather than an outside tap....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Co, Castel, Molson Coors and the cachaca sector....
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Diageo chief admits "tougher than expected" year
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Molson Coors CEO exit - Mega-Merger on hold?
- Comment - Beer - What’s in a (Brand) Name?
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Belvédère chairman to step down
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Diageo writes down Shuijingfang value by GBP264m