Blog: S&N and SAB - Will they? Won't they?
Olly Wehring | 12 April 2007
The Scottish & Newcastle/SABMiller talk has been going on all week over here. Will SABMiller make a move for its smaller rival? Is S&N going to become the next notch on SAB’s bedpost?
Enough think the answer is ‘yes’, for S&N’s share price to start shouting at you from the page.
Some cynical journos – and no, that doesn’t include us, honest – think, however, that the rumours might be the work of those making hay while the share price shines.
One thing to bear in mind, whichever side of the fence you lie on this. The UK Takeover Panel, who keeps an eye on notable share price movements, can oblige a company to state their intentions if it believes there might be something to the rumours.
That panel, however, has been markedly silent.
So don’t go getting too excited, you S&N shareholders.
It's a bank holiday here in the UK on Monday (25 August). just-drinks' team will be taking a well-earned lie down. ...
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change. ...
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down