Blog: Smoke screens
Olly Wehring | 21 November 2007
The UK smoking ban is maybe not as much of an excuse as the brewers would have us believe.
The news yesterday (20 November) that the volume of on-trade beer sales in the UK is at its lowest level since the 1930s flies somewhat in the face of some evidence - albeit anecdotal - that I heard over the weekend.
Post-football (playing not watching - how do you think I keep in such fine fettle?), we went for a well-earned pint at our nearest smoke-free hostelry.
One of our team, the left-back actually, commented on how he'd quit smoking when the ban was introduced in the UK in the summer. How was he finding it, I asked.
"Pretty easy, actually," he said, "although I find I'm drinking much more than I used to."
"Well, I need to do something with my hands now that I'm not holding a cigarette."
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends