Blog: Smoke screens
Olly Wehring | 21 November 2007
The UK smoking ban is maybe not as much of an excuse as the brewers would have us believe.
The news yesterday (20 November) that the volume of on-trade beer sales in the UK is at its lowest level since the 1930s flies somewhat in the face of some evidence - albeit anecdotal - that I heard over the weekend.
Post-football (playing not watching - how do you think I keep in such fine fettle?), we went for a well-earned pint at our nearest smoke-free hostelry.
One of our team, the left-back actually, commented on how he'd quit smoking when the ban was introduced in the UK in the summer. How was he finding it, I asked.
"Pretty easy, actually," he said, "although I find I'm drinking much more than I used to."
"Well, I need to do something with my hands now that I'm not holding a cigarette."
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends