Blog: Smoke screens
Olly Wehring | 21 November 2007
The UK smoking ban is maybe not as much of an excuse as the brewers would have us believe.
The news yesterday (20 November) that the volume of on-trade beer sales in the UK is at its lowest level since the 1930s flies somewhat in the face of some evidence - albeit anecdotal - that I heard over the weekend.
Post-football (playing not watching - how do you think I keep in such fine fettle?), we went for a well-earned pint at our nearest smoke-free hostelry.
One of our team, the left-back actually, commented on how he'd quit smoking when the ban was introduced in the UK in the summer. How was he finding it, I asked.
"Pretty easy, actually," he said, "although I find I'm drinking much more than I used to."
"Well, I need to do something with my hands now that I'm not holding a cigarette."
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends