Blog: Smoke screens
Olly Wehring | 21 November 2007
The UK smoking ban is maybe not as much of an excuse as the brewers would have us believe.
The news yesterday (20 November) that the volume of on-trade beer sales in the UK is at its lowest level since the 1930s flies somewhat in the face of some evidence - albeit anecdotal - that I heard over the weekend.
Post-football (playing not watching - how do you think I keep in such fine fettle?), we went for a well-earned pint at our nearest smoke-free hostelry.
One of our team, the left-back actually, commented on how he'd quit smoking when the ban was introduced in the UK in the summer. How was he finding it, I asked.
"Pretty easy, actually," he said, "although I find I'm drinking much more than I used to."
"Well, I need to do something with my hands now that I'm not holding a cigarette."
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research