Blog: Smoke screens
Olly Wehring | 21 November 2007
The UK smoking ban is maybe not as much of an excuse as the brewers would have us believe.
The news yesterday (20 November) that the volume of on-trade beer sales in the UK is at its lowest level since the 1930s flies somewhat in the face of some evidence - albeit anecdotal - that I heard over the weekend.
Post-football (playing not watching - how do you think I keep in such fine fettle?), we went for a well-earned pint at our nearest smoke-free hostelry.
One of our team, the left-back actually, commented on how he'd quit smoking when the ban was introduced in the UK in the summer. How was he finding it, I asked.
"Pretty easy, actually," he said, "although I find I'm drinking much more than I used to."
"Well, I need to do something with my hands now that I'm not holding a cigarette."
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends